1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pre-collegiate Mathematics

1. Dec 17, 2008 #1

Gold Member

Currently, I plan on being a math or physics major in college. Under the assumption that I'll be accepted into a top university, - not necessarily likely - what mathematical concepts should I have mastered, be familiar with, etc. before enrolling in college?

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2008 #2
    1 semester trigonometry
    2 semesters algebra
    1 semester geometry

Possibly calculus? But you will take it at uni anyways.
  4. Dec 17, 2008 #3
    Definitely take calculus in high school, if you can. It's true that your first year math will be calculus, but it will be much easier to know what's going on, and should be an easy A.

Some first year physics courses are calculus based (and these are the ones generally geared for physics majors) - obvious why calculus in high school will help here.

If your course is AP, then you may be able to get your credit for some or all first year math. Check with the school(s) you're applying to.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?