1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Pre Engineering tasks

1. Mar 12, 2016 #1
    Hello PF,
    Next year I will start an engineering or physics major in college so I was asking if there's anything I can do this summer from your personal experiences. Any courses or textbooks to read to give me a head start . I am decent at maths and exellent at physics and chemistry this year (maths 14.5/20 physics 18/20 and chemistry 16.5/20) so i was worried about the maths .

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2016 #2
    Go over precalculus and algebra and make sure you're comfortable with all of your algebraic manipulations.

4. Mar 12, 2016 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Review trigonometry as well. Trig will pop up in the math and engineering physics courses quite frequently.

5. Mar 12, 2016 #4

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

start looking into calculus. Go through pauls notes.

6. Mar 12, 2016 #5

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

In my experience, you might not have all the prerequisite maths for the physics courses that you're taking. I had to double up and take summer courses to catch up, and it wasn't until my 4th or so semester that I had all the math that I needed for the courses I was taking.

7. Mar 12, 2016 #6
    I think it's more important to be strong in the fundamentals than to get a head start on calculus. The OP will learn calculus anyway, but it'll be easier if they are strong in the fundamentals.

8. Mar 12, 2016 #7
    Thank you all for your help i will consider it .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted