1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Pre Image

1. Jan 12, 2017 #1
    I'm trying to understand image and pre image better but I am having a hard time finding good examples.

So here is one I did come across, let's say ##f:\mathbb{R} →\mathbb{R}## defined by ##f(x)=x^{2}##. Suppose also that ##D = [-1,2]## where ##D\subset \mathbb{R}##. If I'm looking for ##f^{-1}(D)## then I can only use ##D\setminus [-1,0)## in which case ##f^{-1}(D)=[-\sqrt{2},\sqrt{2}]##correct?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2017 #2
    Not correct. Rather, ##f^{-1}(D) = [-\sqrt{2}, \sqrt{2}]##, since ##f^{-1}(D)## is defined as the set of all ##x## such that ##f(x) \in D##. Also you can use ##D## and the inverse image is always well defined, even if ##D## is not completely contained in the range ##f(\mathbb{R})##. In fact, ##f^{-1}((-\infty, 2]) = [-\sqrt{2}, \sqrt{2}]##.

P.S. You really want double hashtags to begin and end a latex formula, rather than code

4. Jan 12, 2017 #3
    Can you explain why ## f^{-1}(D) = [0,\sqrt{2}]## ? Why would we not include ##[-\sqrt{2},0]## in our pre-image? Explain please.

5. Jan 12, 2017 #4
    My bad, I've made a mistake. Corrected it.

6. Jan 12, 2017 #5
    Okay, so what if we wanted to find ##f^{-1}(F)## using the same function with ##F=[-4,-1]##, in that case we would have ##∅##.

7. Jan 12, 2017 #6
    Yes. Unless of course you decide to change domains to complex numbers.

8. Jan 12, 2017 #7
    Of course :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted