Pre Med but can't get into medical school

In summary, the conversation discusses the options for someone interested in pursuing a career in medicine, but is unable to get into medical school. It is suggested to major in a field that is of interest and also has good job prospects, such as biomedical engineering, and to also take courses that are commonly required by medical schools. Additionally, the idea of changing career paths is also mentioned as a possibility.
Kushal
i'm wondering what happens if you do pre-med, but you cannot get a seat in a medical school? are the pre-med studies enough for a career in biochemistry or chemistry itself?

i want to do medicine, but if I'm not a ble to, i'll get into biochem or chemistry. what is the best option? can i do biochem/chemistry as pre-med?

i'm soo lost...

thnks

Physics news on Phys.org
One of my friends was in that situation, and she ended up in a master's program in a related subject. For undergrad, I would do what interests you. Physics, math, and english majors have the highest acceptance rate for med school.

Also remember that getting into med school is hard work. You don't have to be a genius (and probably shouldn't be, from what I've heard), but you have to be willing to get a high GPA and put in the time on the MCAT.

You don't normally get an undergraduate degree in pre-med. You get a degree in biology or chemistry or whatever, with courses inside and outside of your major field that medical schools like to see (e.g. ethics, which most biology majors probably wouldn't take). So if you don't get into med school, you have a shot at whatever else your major field would normally prepare you for.

Kushal, I think the best option for you would be to major in a field that you wouldn't mind doing as a career, should you not be accepted to med school. If employment is your primary goal, I would suggest biomedical engineering. That way, if you get rejected, or if your GPA/MCAT is too low, you still have a job waiting for you without any graduate education. But yes, biochem and chemistry are fine majors for preparation for med school. The programs should already contain all the course requirements that med schools are looking for, and you'll actually graduate with a useful degree. I can't speak competently on the employability of biochem or chemistry majors though...

Of course, you never know if you'll change your mind. I was actually on the med school track until the middle of my junior year of college. I took most of the required biology and chemistry courses , in fact I was one course short of a degree in physics with a biology emphasis. Ended up going to grad school in physics myself. Just a reminder that if you major in something you like, you run the risk of running off and pursuing something other than med school (not that that's a bad thing).

hey thnks a lot arunma it really helps.

1. Why can't I get into medical school?

There are several reasons why you may not have been accepted into medical school. Some of the most common reasons include: low GPA, inadequate extracurricular experiences, lack of clinical experience, and poor performance on the MCAT. It's important to identify the areas where you may be lacking and work on improving them before reapplying.

2. Is it still possible to become a doctor if I can't get into medical school?

Yes, there are alternative paths to becoming a doctor if you are unable to get into medical school. Some options include pursuing a degree in a related field such as nursing or physician assistant, or applying to a DO (Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine) program. It's important to research and consider all your options.

3. What should I do to improve my chances of getting into medical school?

There are several steps you can take to improve your chances of getting into medical school. Some suggestions include: retaking courses to improve your GPA, gaining more clinical experience through volunteering or shadowing, studying and retaking the MCAT, and getting involved in extracurricular activities that align with your interests and demonstrate your commitment to the field of medicine.

4. What are some common mistakes that applicants make when applying to medical school?

Some common mistakes that applicants make include: not applying to a diverse range of schools, not taking the time to thoroughly research schools and their requirements, not highlighting their unique strengths and experiences in their application, and not seeking feedback or guidance from advisors or mentors. It's important to be strategic and thorough when applying to medical school.

5. Should I consider taking a gap year if I can't get into medical school?

Taking a gap year can be a good option if you are unable to get into medical school. It can give you time to strengthen your application, gain more experience, or explore other career options. However, it's important to use this time wisely and have a plan in place to improve your application for the next cycle.