1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Precal - Rotation of a Conic

1. May 1, 2005 #1
    Ok. So i got that part where you replace x with x'cos(theta)+y'sin(theta) and y with -x'sin(theta)+y'cos(theta). My book shows us the proof for this using matrices. What my teacher wants us to do its prove this using polar equations or something like that.

I started out with the drawing attached(teacher told us to use it). From that i got x'=rcos(theta-alpha) and y'=rsin(theta-alpha). Using the difference identities, i got x'=rcos(theta)cos(alpha)+rsin(theta)sin(alpha) and y'=rsin(theta)cos(alpha)-rcos(theta)sin(alpha). I kinda got stuck after this.. Am i on the right track at all? or is it completely off

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2005 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Line up the corresponding equations.

What is rsin(alpha)? and rcos(alpha)?

4. May 1, 2005 #3
    umm.. iono about that but I know that rsin(theta) is y and rcos(theta) is x.. would that be the same?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?