What is the Objective Function and Constraints for this Optimization Problem?

In summary, the conversation is about a confusing optimization problem that involves an objective function, constraints, and points A(1,2), B(-1,2), and C(-1,-3). The question is unclear and does not make sense. The person is seeking help and will ask their cousin to contact the professor.
Roni1985

Homework Statement

Optimization (Maximize or Minimize)
JJCJ=-x +2y according to:
A(1,2)
B(-1,2)
C(-1,-3)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have taken many advanced math courses and its kind of embarrassing that I don't know how to approach this question :\
First I thought there was a mistake with the question but my cousin says that this is what the professor game them. I don't even know what JJCJ is...
Would appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Roni1985 said:

Homework Statement

Optimization (Maximize or Minimize)
JJCJ=-x +2y according to:
A(1,2)
B(-1,2)
C(-1,-3)
This doesn't make any sense to me, especially the part "... according to A(1, 2), B(-1, 2), C(-1, -3).

A, B, and C are points.

In optimization problems you are usually given some objective function (like your JJCJ above - I have no idea what JJCJ means), and the constraints are inequalities, such as x >= 0, y >= 0, 2x + 3y <= 5.

Do the points in your problem constitute vertices in the critical region?

What is the exact wording of the problem?
Roni1985 said:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have taken many advanced math courses and its kind of embarrassing that I don't know how to approach this question :\
First I thought there was a mistake with the question but my cousin says that this is what the professor game them. I don't even know what JJCJ is...
Would appreciate any help.

Mark44 said:
This doesn't make any sense to me, especially the part "... according to A(1, 2), B(-1, 2), C(-1, -3).

A, B, and C are points.

In optimization problems you are usually given some objective function (like your JJCJ above - I have no idea what JJCJ means), and the constraints are inequalities, such as x >= 0, y >= 0, 2x + 3y <= 5.

Do the points in your problem constitute vertices in the critical region?

What is the exact wording of the problem?

That's what I thought... the problem doesn't make sense. And, this is the exact wording that the professor gave to the students. I'll ask my cousin to contact the professor.

Thanks for your help.

1. What is a precalculus optimization problem?

Precalculus optimization problems involve finding the maximum or minimum value of a quantity, given certain constraints. These problems often involve real-world scenarios and require the use of mathematical concepts such as derivatives and critical points.

2. How do I approach solving a precalculus optimization problem?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the problem, identifying the given constraints and the quantity to be optimized. Then, use mathematical techniques such as setting up equations and taking derivatives to find critical points. Finally, evaluate the critical points to determine the maximum or minimum value.

3. What are some common real-world applications of precalculus optimization problems?

Some common applications include maximizing profit in a business, minimizing cost in a manufacturing process, and finding the maximum or minimum value of a physical quantity, such as the trajectory of a projectile or the volume of a container.

4. Can precalculus optimization problems have more than one solution?

Yes, it is possible for a precalculus optimization problem to have multiple solutions. This can occur when there are multiple critical points that satisfy the given constraints, or when the objective function has multiple local maximum or minimum points.

5. Are there any tips for solving precalculus optimization problems?

Some tips include carefully defining variables and drawing diagrams to visualize the problem, checking for extraneous solutions, and practicing with various types of optimization problems to become familiar with the process. It is also helpful to double-check your work and make sure your solution makes sense in the context of the problem.