1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Precalculus for dummies

1. Jun 11, 2013 #1
    hi
    I need a self-study precalculus book ,I am thinking about Precalculus for dummies.
    what do you think about this book?

what are other recommendations?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2013 #2
    It probably depends on the level of rigor in which you wish to know pre-calculus. A "... for dummies" book would be very non-rigorous and would probably just give you formulas and plug-n-chug problems, giving you a somewhat superficial understanding of the material.

Having worked through Serge Lang's Basic Mathematics, I can say that, if you want a relatively rigorous book (it includes proofs, including some as exercises), then that would be the ideal book for you. I actually worked through that book the summer before I took pre-calculus in school, and the material that we covered in that class was almost exactly what was covered in the book, so don't worry about missing any topics.

4. Jun 30, 2013 #3
    Algebra and Trigonometry by Sheldon Axler ...very good but a bit big and serious
    Precalculus Mathematics in a Nutshell: Geometry, Algebra, Trigonometry by George F. Simmons the perfect one for a fast look through precalculus ...a bit short though
    Basic Mathematics By lang also perfect but you need to get familiar with its writing style .

5. Jun 30, 2013 #4
    I wouldn't use those books from companies like "for dummies". If you truly want a full understanding, get a textbook. I would suggest Amazon, and check the reviews (be careful, some are fake).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted