Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Precalculus Help

1. Jan 25, 2005 #1
    I was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem

A circle is tanget to line 2x-y+1=0, at point (2, 5), and the center point is on line, x+y=9. Determine the equation (in general form) of the circle.

Normally I can do this sort of problem but I am having a hard time with this one. I don't know how to determine the center point or radius.....frustrating..

Thanks, Jennifer

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2005 #2
    This might be wrong because I'm basically an idiot, but here's what I'd do,…

Write an equation for a line that is orthogonal to 2x-y+1=0 and also passes through point (2,5).

Then solve for where that line and x+y=9 cross. That point must be the center of the circle.

The radius of the circle is the distance between those two points and the rest is history, … Er,.. I mean, mathematics.

I think that'll do it, but I'm sure some real mathematicians will come along and correct me if I'm wrong. :wink:

4. Jan 25, 2005 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's what I would've done.

5. Oct 2, 2008 #4
    hello,

i just starting taking classes for pre-cal..... havent taken classes in yrs..... besides the calculator and the textbook - what else can i buy to help me with this class??? any tools?? (besides a tutor)

Thanks in advance!

A

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?