Precalculus logarithm question

In summary, to use logs other than base 10 or base e on your TI-86, you can use the formula ^a\log b=\frac{\ln b}{\ln a} or ^a\log b=\frac{^{10}\log b}{^{10}\log a} or ^a\log b=\frac{^y\log b}{^y\log a} for any positive base a and b.
gusty987
I'm trying to use LOGs other than log base 10 and base e on my TI-86. Can I accomplish this like this?:

log base a of b = (log base 10 of b) / (log base 10 of a) ?

or is it:

log base a of b = (ln b) / (ln a) ?

Help needed ASAP. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Both are correct.

I'll use [itex]^a\log b[/itex] for the log base a of b.

For any positive a,b:
[tex]^a\log b=x \iff a^x=b \iff \ln a^x=\ln b \iff[/tex]
[tex] x\ln a = \ln b \iff x=\frac{\ln b}{\ln a}[/tex]

I took the natural logarithm, but that was a complety arbitrary.
Therefore:

[tex]^a\log b=\frac{\ln b}{\ln a}=\frac{^{10}\log b}{^{10}\log a}=\frac{^y\log b}{^y\log a}[/tex]
for any base y.

Last edited:

1. What are logarithms in precalculus?

Logarithms in precalculus are mathematical functions that are the inverse of exponential functions. They are used to solve equations involving exponential expressions, and they represent the power to which a base number must be raised to get a given number.

2. Why are logarithms important in precalculus?

Logarithms are important in precalculus because they allow us to solve equations involving exponential expressions, which are commonly found in many real-world applications such as population growth, radioactive decay, and compound interest.

3. How do you solve logarithmic equations in precalculus?

To solve a logarithmic equation in precalculus, you can use the properties of logarithms, such as the product, quotient, and power properties, to rewrite the equation and solve for the variable. Alternatively, you can convert the equation into an exponential form and solve for the variable using basic algebraic techniques.

4. What are common mistakes to avoid when working with logarithms in precalculus?

Common mistakes to avoid when working with logarithms in precalculus include using the wrong base for the logarithm, forgetting to apply the properties of logarithms, and incorrectly solving logarithmic equations by taking the logarithm of both sides without considering the restrictions on the domain of the logarithmic function.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in precalculus logarithms?

You can practice and improve your skills in precalculus logarithms by solving practice problems, working on real-world applications, and seeking help from your teacher or a tutor if you encounter difficulties. You can also use online resources, such as video tutorials and interactive quizzes, to supplement your learning.