Solving Precalculus Problem: 1 - x-3/x-2 = 2x-3/x-2 - Tony Zalles

• Thread starter Tony Zalles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Precalculus
In summary, to solve precalculus problems, it is important to simplify the equation, isolate the variable, and apply inverse operations. Solving precalculus problems helps with understanding math concepts and preparing for higher-level courses. While calculators can be helpful, it is important to have a solid understanding of the concepts. Tips for solving problems efficiently include careful reading, showing work, and regular practice. To check for correctness, you can plug in the solution, use a graphing calculator, or seek feedback from a teacher or tutor.
Tony Zalles
Problem: 1 - x-3/x-2 = 2x-3/x-2

OK I know the answer in the back of our textbook is: No Solution

Yet...

I work out the problem to get, x=2

Here is how I got that.
[x-2) - (x-3)]/x-2 = 2x-3/x-2
x-2-x+3=2x-3
4=2x
2=x​

Now I know that if 2 is put back in for x undefined values occur.

1 - (undefined value) = (undefined value)

So what I don't understand is how is x=2 a solution if it doesn't work in the original equation?

And if it is not an actual solution than how come it came up as one?

2nd Problem:
[Earth Science]
In 1984, the Soviets led the world in drilling the deepest hole in the Earth's crust--more than 12 kilometers deep. They found that below 3 kilometers the temperature T increased 2.5 (degrees) C for each additional 100 meters of depth.

(A) If the temperature at 3 kilometers is 30 (degrees) C and x is the depth of the hole in kilometers, write an equation using x that will give the temperature T in the hole at any distance beyond 3 kilometers.

Ok I figured that: T = 2.5[(x-3)/100] + 30

But the answer is different...
[Answer: T = 30 + 25(x-3)]

But...if you put in a number, x in meters, in my equation, and put in a number x in km, in the 'back of the books equation' you get the same answer.

T(4000 m) = 55 (degrees) C
T(4 km) = 55 (degrees) C

So...not sure which is 'right' per say, some help would be nice...

Thanks.

-Tony Zalles

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
And if it is not an actual solution than how come it came up as one?

Look at each step you did, and consider when they can be reversed...

But...if you put in a number, x in meters, in my equation, and put in a number x in km, in the 'back of the books equation' you get the same answer.

Try putting the units on all of the numbers involved, then compare the two solutions to see if they're the same.

Hurkyl said:
Look at each step you did, and consider when they can be reversed...

hmn...

Well looking at each step I took everything can be reversed except...the step I took between:

[(x-2) - (x-3)]/x-2 = 2x-3/x-2

||
\/

(x-2)-(x-3)=2x-3​

Where I got rid of 'x-2' in the denominator on both sides...so I guess the point you're trying to drive at is that by getting rid of that part of the equation than I effectively get rid of the part that would otherwise make, x=2, not a solution, therefore coming to the conclusion in the back of the book that there is "No Solution".

Is that right?

Try putting the units on all of the numbers involved, then compare the two solutions to see if they're the same.

Given that in the word problem they give their distance values in kilometers, I'm assuming that therefore they want an equation expressing T using x (the distance) expressed in kilometers. Which would make 'the back of the book equation' the correct answer.

Was that what you were trying to point out to me?

By the way thanks for the reply.

Exactly.

Furthermore, whenever you multiply both sides of an equation by something, you introduce potentially false "solutions" corresponding to when the thing you multiplied is zero. For instance, suppose we start with the nice, simple equation x = 3.
Now, let's do some arithmetic:

x = 3
x (x - 2) = 3 (x - 2)
x^2 - 2x = 3x - 6
x ^ 2 - 5x + 6 = 0
x = 2 or x = 3

We see that multiplying by (x - 2) introduced a new "solution", x = 2.

It is often wise to avoid multiplying (or dividing!) by things that are sometimes zero. To be entirely safe, you should either:

(a) Try factoring instead
(b) Split the problem into two cases; one where the thing always zero, and one where the thing is never zero (and thus it is safe to multiply or divide)

Hurkyl said:
Exactly.

Furthermore, whenever you multiply both sides of an equation by something, you introduce potentially false "solutions" corresponding to when the thing you multiplied is zero. For instance, suppose we start with the nice, simple equation x = 3.
Now, let's do some arithmetic:

x = 3
x (x - 2) = 3 (x - 2)
x^2 - 2x = 3x - 6
x ^ 2 - 5x + 6 = 0
x = 2 or x = 3

We see that multiplying by (x - 2) introduced a new "solution", x = 2.

Thanks that makes a lot of sense. :)

(a) Try factoring instead
(b) Split the problem into two cases; one where the thing always zero, and one where the thing is never zero (and thus it is safe to multiply or divide)

(a) I understand,

But would you mind providing an example where you would do (b) if you can think of one...I kind of get it but an example would reassure me that I really understand what you're explaining.

BTW thanks again for the quick reply.

Suppose I want to solve the equation:

x (x - 2) = 3 (x - 2)

I split it into two cases: x = 2 and x != 2.

In the case where x = 2, the equation is simply 0 = 0, so x = 2 is a solution.

When x != 2, we can confidently divide by (x - 2) to get x = 3. Since all our steps are reversible, and 3 != 2, we see that 3 is a solution.

1. How do I solve the given precalculus problem?

To solve the given precalculus problem, we first need to make sure that the equation is in its simplest form by combining like terms on both sides. Then, we need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Finally, we can solve for the variable by applying the inverse of the operations used to isolate it.

2. What is the purpose of solving precalculus problems?

Solving precalculus problems helps us to understand and apply mathematical concepts, develop critical thinking skills, and prepare for higher-level math courses such as calculus. It also allows us to solve real-world problems using mathematical models and equations.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve precalculus problems?

While a calculator can be a useful tool in solving precalculus problems, it is important to have a solid understanding of the underlying mathematical concepts and processes. Relying solely on a calculator can hinder your ability to solve problems and understand the logic behind them.

4. Are there any tips for solving precalculus problems more efficiently?

Some tips for solving precalculus problems more efficiently include: carefully reading and understanding the problem, identifying the given information and what needs to be solved, writing out all the steps and showing your work, double-checking your solution, and practicing regularly to improve your skills.

5. How can I check if my solution to a precalculus problem is correct?

One way to check if your solution to a precalculus problem is correct is by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph both sides of the equation and see if they intersect at the solution. Additionally, you can ask a teacher or tutor for feedback on your solution.