Precalculus Syllabus - Exam Topics

• Thread starter jai6638
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Precalculus
In summary, the following topics were covered in Precalculus: - Polar Coordinates- Parametric Equations- Sequences, Series, Induction, Binomial Theorem- Probability- Limits- System of Equations and Inequalities- Conics (Parabolas, Hyperbolas, Ellipses)- Vectors (Dot Product, Cross Product, etc)
jai6638
Hey... I am self-studying Precalc and will be giving my placement exam so as to skip precalc. I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me if the following topics were taught and if they come on the exam so that I could study these topics accordingly:

1) Polar Coordinates
2) Parametric equations
3) Sequences, series, Induction, Binomial theorm
4) Systems of Equations and Inequalities
5) Probability ( permutations, combinations,etc )
6) Product-to-sum, sum-to-product and Half Angle Formulas in trig.
7) Conics ( Parabolas, Hyperbolas, Ellipses )
8) Polar Equations of Conics
9) Vectors ( Dot product, Cross Product, etc )

Thanks much.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't say what will be on your exam but that certainly looks like the kind of thing that would be tested for on a "precalculus" test. You might want to include "limits", particularly limits of arithmetic and geometric sequences and series. (Be sure you know the diference betwee a "sequence" and a "series!).

Dont have limits of series in my textbook. Only have regular limits. A guy who took the precalculus exam ( in another school ) told me that it was high unlikely that they would ask me Series, Sequences , Parametric Equations & Polar Coordinates for the Precalculus exam. My tutor also seemed to think the same although I don't see why they wouldn't give me questions from these chapters. She says that the sequences, series,etc falls into a separate course called Discrete Algebra and hence, chances are that they would not ask that in Precalculus exam...

Last edited:
Btw, the abovementioned topics are topics that I have heard which may not be given importance and might not come on the exam.

If you plan on continuing in math learning calculus and maybe even further, it can't hurt to learn each of these topics even if there's some uncertain if they will be necessary. More work with sequences and series will be done in calculus. Polar coordinates and parametric equations really aren't that hard (the conversion equations are simple), and will be used extensively in more advanced classes in math and science (I forgot if they're in single variable calculus). It seemed like nearly every problem in my intro mechanics course used polar coordinates.

Problem is that I'm short on time ... I have looked over all these chapters but I haven't practiced it thoroughly coz I figured i'd rather spend time on chapters which I know are definitely going to come ( trig ,etc ) ...

I really don't understand Parametric Equations and the point of it. I tried reading the textbook chapter quite a few times but I still don't get it.

My precalc also introduced product and chain rules. All of your items you have listed seems to be just like my precalc class. (long time ago.)

Last edited:

What is precalculus and why is it important?

Precalculus is a course that prepares students for advanced mathematical concepts, such as calculus. It covers topics such as functions, graphs, and trigonometry. It is important because it provides the foundation for higher level math courses and is often a prerequisite for college-level math courses.

What topics are typically covered in a precalculus syllabus?

A precalculus syllabus typically includes topics such as functions and their properties, graphing techniques, trigonometry, algebraic manipulations, and basic calculus concepts. It may also cover topics such as matrices, sequences and series, and complex numbers.

What skills do I need to have to be successful in precalculus?

To be successful in precalculus, it is important to have a strong understanding of algebra and geometry. It is also helpful to have strong problem-solving skills and the ability to think critically. Familiarity with basic trigonometric functions and their properties is also beneficial.

What are some common challenges students face when studying precalculus?

Some common challenges students face when studying precalculus include understanding the abstract nature of the subject, struggling with complex algebraic manipulations, and applying trigonometric concepts to real-world problems. Time management and staying organized can also be challenging for some students.

What can I do to prepare for a precalculus exam?

To prepare for a precalculus exam, it is important to review and practice the key concepts and formulas covered in class. It can also be helpful to work through practice problems and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed. Creating study guides and using flashcards can also aid in exam preparation.