1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Precessing electron, probability of spins

1. Mar 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An electron precesses in B field aligned with +z axis. At t=0, spin of the electron is in the +x direction. Wave function is given as a matrix, but is equal to 1/sqrt(2)[e^-iwt/2 |z> + e^iwt/2 |-z> ]. (Sorry, idk LaTeX). For t>0, find the probability of finding the electron in the state:

(a) ms = +h/2 [h-bar] [m sub s]
    (b) msx = +h/2 [h-bar] [m sub sx]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Actually, I just want to make sure I set these problem up right. I have the answers, and I did get the correct answers, but:

for (a): I did |<z|psi>|^2, it came out to 1/2
    for (b): I did |<x|psi>|^2, it came out to cos^2(wt/2)

I'm not sure if my setup for (a) was right, or not. I could've got the same result with |<-z|psi>|^2, for example. I'm not sure if its a notation thing with the book, they tend to use msx and msy, but I don't recall seeing msz, perhaps they use the notation that msz = ms. This makes some sense, as there is no such thing as definite total spin, even with just 1 electron.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?