Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Precessing orbital elements

1. Oct 9, 2018 #1
    Good evening,

This could be one of the questions: if I have a set of orbital elements (mainly inclination, ascending node and perihelion) referred to the equinox and mean ecliptic of J2000, how do I translate them to the current Julian date epoch and ecliptic reference plan so I don't have to make reductions to the coordinates?

My question comes from the fact that I'm using a set of orbital elements referred to J2000, and I get allways a difference of about 11 seconds towards the real results. I assume that after calculating the heliocentric positions from the keplerian elements, I must find the geocentrics ones, and then reduce them to the equinox and ecliptic of date.

After that, I calculate the light time correction, add the nutation and I was suposed to be done.

Any ideas - or experience with orbital elem. calculations?

Kind regards,

C. Ptolemy

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2018 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted