1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Precession of ellipsoid Question

1. May 31, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A uniform symmetric ellipsoid (Mass M) has a large semi axis c and small semi axis a. A particle of mass m<<M is moving along a straight line parallel to the x-axis with speed v(i). Its y-coordinate is a/2 and its z-coordinate it c/2. After an inelastic collision, it sticks to the ellipsoid and then it (The ellipsoid) starts to move and rotate. One can assume the moment of inertia of the composite system equals to that of the ellipsoid.

Find the precession of the ellipsoid c-axis around direction of the angular momentum

3. The attempt at a solution

There are a couple of initial things I worked out:

- By linear momentum conservation, v(f)=m*v(i)/M

- The angular momentum of the composite system is L=M*v(f)*a + (2/5*M*a^2)*(v(f)/a) = 7/5*M*v(f)*a

- From what I guess, the ellipsoid rotates and precesses about the z-axis, but I'm still sort of learning precession, so I'm not sure how to go about doing this.

Thanks

Regards,
    The Keck

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?