1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Precession of the perihelion of Mecury

1. Sep 2, 2003 #1
    My problem involves the precession of the perihelion of Mecury
    F sub g = - (GMm)/r^2 * (1 + a/r) where a << r
    I proved in previous parts d^2r/dt^2 - r*(dtheta/dt)^2 =
    -GM/r^2 * (1 + a/r) [eqn 1] and r* d^2theta/dt^2 + 2*dr/dt*dtheta/dt = 0
    I also used u(theta) = 1/r(t) to turn eqn 1 to d^2u/dtheta^2 +
    u(1-GMa/l^2) = GM/l^2 where l = L/m.
    Where I'm stuck is showing the solution is u(theta) = u(sub 0) *
    (1+ ecos(n(theta - theta (sub 0))) where e and theta (sub 0) are constants of integration and u(sub 0) and n are in terms of a, G, M and l. I've tried many times but can't get it to work out.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2003 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your equation is d^2u/dtheta^2 + u(1-GMa/l^2) = GM/l^2 which we can write as d^u/dtheta^2+ Au= B by setting A= 1-GMa/l^2 and B= GM/l^2.

The general solution to the differential equation d^u/dtheta^2+ Au= 0 is u= C1 cos(sqrt(A)theta)+ C2 sin(sqrt(A)theta). The constant solution u= B/A satisfies d^u/dtheta^2+ Au= B since the second derivative is 0. Adding those,

u= C1 cos(sqrt(A)theta)+ C2 sin(sqrt(A)theta)+ B/A is the general solution to the differential equation. You should be able to write that in terms of your constants.

You may need to use the facts that
    cos(theta- theta0)= cos(theta0) cos(theta)+ sin(theta0)sin(theta) and
    sin(theta- theta0)= cos(theta0) sin(theta)- sin(theta0)cos(theta) to put it in the form you want.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?