Will a Precipitate Form When Combining CaCl2 & NaOH Solutions?

• Thread starter mister_mister3
  • Start date
In summary, the solubility product of calcium hydroxide, Ca(OH)2, was calculated to be 7.9 x 10^-6 at 25 deg. celcius. When 100mL of 0.10 mol/L of CaCl2 solution and 50.0 mL of 0.070 mol/L of NaOH solution are combined, the trial K value of 1.54 x 10^-3 is smaller than the Ksp, indicating that no precipitate will form.
mister_mister3
Question as posed in my text:

Q: The solubility product of calcium hydroxide, Ca(OH)2, is 7.9 x 10^-6 at 25 deg. celcius. Will a precipitate form when 100mL of 0.10 mol/L of CaCl2 solution and 50.0 mL of 0.070 mol/L of NaOH solution are combined?

My answer:

CaCl2 = 0.10 mol/L x 100mL/150mL = 0.067 mol/L
NaOH = 0.070 mol/L x 50mL/150mL = .023 mol/L

Ktrial = 0.067 x .023 = 1.54 x 10^-3

Therefore, since the Ktrial result is smaller than Ksp, no precipitate will form.

So this looks right to me, but something is nagging me about it...Anyone? Have I done this properly?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hi there

[tex]K=[Ca^{2+}][OH^{-}]^{2} [/tex]

for asking for clarification! Your calculations are correct and your conclusion is also correct. According to the solubility product (Ksp) and the concentrations of the two solutions, a precipitate will not form. This is because the Ksp value for Ca(OH)2 is much smaller than the Ktrial value, indicating that the solution is not saturated and therefore no precipitate will form. Keep in mind that this is assuming ideal conditions and that other factors, such as temperature and pH, could also affect the formation of a precipitate.

1. What is a precipitate?

A precipitate is a solid substance that forms when two or more solutions are mixed together.

2. Will a precipitate form when combining CaCl2 and NaOH solutions?

Yes, a precipitate will form when combining these two solutions. CaCl2 and NaOH are both ionic compounds that react with each other to form a solid precipitate of calcium hydroxide (Ca(OH)2).

3. What is the chemical equation for the reaction between CaCl2 and NaOH?

The chemical equation for this reaction is CaCl2 + 2NaOH → Ca(OH)2 + 2NaCl.

4. How can you tell if a precipitate has formed?

You can tell if a precipitate has formed by observing the solution. A precipitate will appear as a cloudy or milky substance in the solution, and may also settle at the bottom of the container.

5. Can the amount of precipitate formed be predicted?

The amount of precipitate formed can be predicted using stoichiometry. By calculating the moles of each reactant and using the mole ratio from the balanced chemical equation, you can determine the amount of precipitate that will form.