Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Precipitated Carbon

1. Oct 19, 2006 #1
    Hey all, :smile:

I'm new to this board. I really think it's great, and I love to visit whenever I have the time. Mainly to read.

But now I have a question.

I recently did an experiment forming carbon from sugar and conc. H2SO4,
    but the precipitate is so fine it emmediately clogs the filter paper. Even when I use a Buchner, with 20-25 uM particle retention disc. I was wondering if there is any way to get the precip to clump up a little, so as to not be so fine and clog the paper, and make the filtering proccess possible?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2006 #2

Are you using vacuum filtration?
  4. Oct 19, 2006 #3
    Yes, I use vacuum(up to 20" Hg.), and still the filter paper slugs up so quick because the particles are so fine.
    I guess maybe I could just let the precip. settle and decant.
  5. Oct 19, 2006 #4

I thought you don't need to use filter paper when you already have a fritted disk. Well then again your disk is coarse and the pores are big. You may want to try a finer fritted disk for your filtration. A fritted filter funnel with an outer jacket may help crystallize the product as well.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?