1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Precipitated Carbon

1. Oct 19, 2006 #1
    Hey all, :smile:

I'm new to this board. I really think it's great, and I love to visit whenever I have the time. Mainly to read.

But now I have a question.

I recently did an experiment forming carbon from sugar and conc. H2SO4,
    but the precipitate is so fine it emmediately clogs the filter paper. Even when I use a Buchner, with 20-25 uM particle retention disc. I was wondering if there is any way to get the precip to clump up a little, so as to not be so fine and clog the paper, and make the filtering proccess possible?
    Thanx
    Jim

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2006 #2

jzq

Are you using vacuum filtration?

4. Oct 19, 2006 #3
    Yes, I use vacuum(up to 20" Hg.), and still the filter paper slugs up so quick because the particles are so fine.
    I guess maybe I could just let the precip. settle and decant.

5. Oct 19, 2006 #4

jzq

I thought you don't need to use filter paper when you already have a fritted disk. Well then again your disk is coarse and the pores are big. You may want to try a finer fritted disk for your filtration. A fritted filter funnel with an outer jacket may help crystallize the product as well.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?