Convert Precise Readings to Accurate Values Without Calibration

• Thread starter Cashlover123
  • Start date
In summary, if you want to have accurate readings from a measuring instrument, you need to calibrate it.
Cashlover123
How can anybody convert precise readings from any measuring instruments to the accurate value without calibration?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Cashlover123 said:
How can anybody convert precise readings from any measuring instruments to the accurate value without calibration?

Beats me. Is it a trick question?

Surely you can't. Your readings are only as good as the instrument. I don't see how you could convert that to the actual reading.

If my desk is 40.5 inches and I measure it at 40 +-1 then there's no way to get to the real value. You can only improve the accuracy of your reading by using more precise instruments.

Accuracy and precision are two different things. A measurement system can be accurate but not precise, precise but not accurate, neither, or both.

See Accuracy versus precision; the target analogy here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_and_precision

Right, and the implication that has for the OP's question is that you can turn a precise set of readings into an accurate and precise set of readings if you know the offset...which is, of course, the definition of "calibration". So the question begs the answer it rejects. It's like asking "how can you calibrate without calibrating?" It's nonsensical.

Maybe i was not clear enough, i got this assignment on how to have accurate readings from a measuring cylinder. Now when you are taking readings, the scales in the cylinder are not accurate. Of course it gives precise measurements but accuracy is important. That's why i was wondering if there is anyway to have accuracy from any measuring device.
BTW, i just wanted to try my luck to see from previous question if there was just any conversion equations, which sounds stupid to me now. Thanks.

If it has a fixed scale, you won't get more accurate than is already there.

To improve it, you would need remove the old scale and put a new, more precisely calibrated one on.

You can try to account for this bias, i.e. apply a correction. But of course you would need to figure out what this correction needs to be.

Take any measurement, you could think of a ruler as an example. Maybe the measurements you make need to be corrected by an offset. Or maybe you need to multiply the measurements by some factor. Or maybe you need to do both of the previous steps, say measurement corrected=measurement*a+b. Or it might be more complicated than this. So really this correction depends and can only be figured out using another device that is more accurate than the one you have.

1. How can precise readings be converted to accurate values?

Precise readings can be converted to accurate values through calibration. This process involves comparing the measurements obtained from a device to a known standard, and adjusting the device accordingly to ensure accurate readings.

2. What is the importance of converting precise readings to accurate values?

Converting precise readings to accurate values is essential for obtaining reliable and trustworthy data. Inaccurate measurements can lead to incorrect conclusions and potentially dangerous consequences, especially in scientific research and experiments.

3. Can precise readings be accurate without calibration?

No, precise readings cannot be accurate without calibration. Even the most precise instruments can have slight variations and errors, and calibration is necessary to correct these deviations and ensure accurate measurements.

4. What are some common methods of calibration for converting precise readings to accurate values?

Some common methods of calibration include using reference standards, performing zero and span adjustments, and using mathematical models to correct for any errors. The specific method used will depend on the type of instrument and the desired level of accuracy.

5. How often should calibration be performed to maintain accurate readings?

The frequency of calibration depends on several factors, such as the type of instrument, its level of accuracy, and how often it is used. In general, it is recommended to calibrate instruments at least once a year, but some may require more frequent calibration, especially if they are used frequently or in critical applications.