Building a Precision CNC Router

In summary, the CNC machine has many options for improving precision and accuracy. It uses servo motors and ball screws for movement, and uses limit switches to keep the position information.
GiTS
I am going to build a CNC router. Although that's misleading since I don't nessecarily plan on actually using a router as the main tool. I want to see how precise I can get and what kind of quality I can achieve without spending lots of money. So I have some basic questions. The plans I've seen rely on a chain and sprocket to drive router. Their precision relies on the gear ratio between the linear motion of the gantry and the stepper motor, and the tightness of the chain and sprocket system. Even though the CNC I saw was able to mill PCB boards without any apparent defects, I think precision can be improved.

I want to incorporate a location tracking system. I'm thinking an optical detector and black and white lines across the axises. But I'm open to suggestions, in fact it's why I'm here.

Engineering news on Phys.org
GiTS said:
I am going to build a CNC router. Although that's misleading since I don't nessecarily plan on actually using a router as the main tool. I want to see how precise I can get and what kind of quality I can achieve without spending lots of money. So I have some basic questions. The plans I've seen rely on a chain and sprocket to drive router. Their precision relies on the gear ratio between the linear motion of the gantry and the stepper motor, and the tightness of the chain and sprocket system. Even though the CNC I saw was able to mill PCB boards without any apparent defects, I think precision can be improved.

I want to incorporate a location tracking system. I'm thinking an optical detector and black and white lines across the axises. But I'm open to suggestions, in fact it's why I'm here.

The PCB milling machines that I've seen from LPKF use microstepper motors (or maybe servo motors?) and linear screw drives. That would seem to have much less of an accuracy/repeatability issue compared to a chain drive. It only uses end of travel limit switches to keep the absolute position information, I think.

I retrofitted my bench-top drill-mill for CNC. Replaced the (old,worn) acme screws with ball screws which have only a few mils of backlash. The screws are driven by servo motors and fairly tight timing belt/gears. I think chain and sprocket might not get tight enough to limit backlash, just a guess though.

Limit switches are handy but I hardly ever run to the end of travel so I skipped them. I have puzzled over the idea of using digital readouts as feedback, but that's a lot of work and programming to get going. Generally, once you've compensated for the backlash issues things are pretty repeatable in the thousandth range.

1. What are the main components of a CNC router?

A CNC router typically consists of the following components: a computer, CAD/CAM software, a control system, motors, a spindle, a bed or table, and cutting tools. The computer and software are used to design and program the desired cuts, while the control system translates the instructions into specific movements for the motors to execute. The spindle holds and rotates the cutting tool, and the bed or table provides a stable surface for the material to be cut.

2. How accurate can a precision CNC router be?

The accuracy of a CNC router depends on several factors, including the quality of the components, the precision of the cutting tools, and the programming and calibration of the machine. On average, a precision CNC router can achieve accuracy within 0.001 inches or 0.025 millimeters. However, some advanced models may have even higher levels of precision.

3. What materials can be used with a CNC router?

CNC routers can cut a variety of materials, including wood, plastic, foam, composites, and metals. The type of material that can be used depends on the strength and capabilities of the cutting tools and the power of the machine. Some CNC routers are designed specifically for certain materials, while others are versatile and can handle a range of materials.

4. How long does it take to build a precision CNC router?

The time it takes to build a precision CNC router can vary significantly depending on the complexity of the design, the availability of materials and components, and the skill level of the builder. On average, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months to build a precision CNC router. However, pre-made kits and pre-assembled machines may significantly reduce the build time.

5. What are some common applications for a precision CNC router?

Precision CNC routers are used in a wide range of industries, including woodworking, metalworking, plastic fabrication, prototyping, and manufacturing. They are commonly used to create intricate and precise cuts, shapes, and designs in various materials, such as furniture, cabinetry, signage, and prototypes. CNC routers are also used in the production of custom parts and components for various products.