Is Precognition and Neuroscience a Valid Scientific Topic?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of presentiment, where a person's physiological reaction can differ before being exposed to two different types of images. Surprisingly, the body's reaction can predict whether the upcoming images will be disturbing or neutral. However, there is no concrete evidence for this phenomenon in mainstream journals, only in sources that are not considered reliable for scientific claims.
SF
Is this for real or not?

Every minute or so, a random generator “decides” which of the two kinds of images will be shown, and the computer then displays it. Needless to say, the physiological reaction of the subject will depend on the quality of the image shown, with a rather flat reaction to neutral images, and a sharp peak for shocking ones. Nothing surprising here. But what is surprising, and very exciting, is that the person’s physiology reacts differentially to these two kinds of images even before they are seen. A future violent image somehow “pre-triggers” a spike similar to (though smaller than) what we see following exposure to that image ; by contrast, the body’s “pre-reaction” is quite flat, when the future image turns out to be neutral. It is as if, at some deep, unconscious level, the person “knows”, beforehand, whether or not the upcoming experience will be disturbing.

http://www.metapsychique.org/Future-Present-Past.html

http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache...images+future&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&client=opera

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I saw that alleged experiment done a few years ago and have wondered about it myself. If it is credible, I would expect that a formal published paper could be found by now. When I get some time, I will check on your linked information.

I will leave this open for any possible supporting evidence, but let's avoid any discussion otherwise until then.

Last edited:
I don't see it or anything related listed in a mainstream journal.
http://scientific.thomson.com/index.html

So if there is anything there, it doesn't seem that anyone has been willing to publish the work. It is only found in places like The Journal of Parapsychology, and the Journal for Scientific Exploration, which at most qualify here as sources for claims, but not evidence.

1. What is precognition?

Precognition is the supposed ability to predict or perceive future events before they occur. It is often linked to extrasensory perception (ESP) and is considered a psychic phenomenon.

2. Is there any scientific evidence for precognition?

There is currently no scientific evidence that supports the existence of precognition. Many studies have been conducted, but the results have been inconclusive and often attributed to chance or other factors.

3. How does neuroscience relate to precognition?

Neuroscience is the scientific study of the nervous system and how it relates to behavior, cognition, and emotion. It does not directly relate to precognition as it is not considered a scientifically proven phenomenon.

4. Can precognition be explained by current scientific theories?

No, current scientific theories and models do not support the concept of precognition. The idea of predicting future events before they occur goes against the laws of physics and the understanding of time as a linear concept.

5. Are there any potential dangers of believing in precognition?

Believing in precognition can potentially lead to confirmation bias, where individuals only remember and focus on events that support their belief. It can also lead to a reliance on predictions instead of taking action and making decisions based on rational thinking and evidence.

Back