What Should I Study Before Tackling Spivak's Calculus?

In summary, a high school student in the UK is looking to start studying Calculus from Spivak and is wondering what topics they should cover in greater detail before doing so. The student has completed their Mathematics IGCSE and is currently working on a Further Maths IGCSE. It is suggested that the student may need another/supplemental calculus book or utilize free online sources in addition to Spivak's book, as it is more focused on analysis and rigorous proofs. It is also recommended to read threads on Spivak and other resources to strengthen understanding of mathematics.
IDValour
Hello, I am a high school student in the UK who is looking to start studying Calculus from Spivak. My question is as follows: What topics might I need to cover in greater detail before doing so? In terms of work done thus far, I have completed my Mathematics IGCSE (1 year early) and am now working through a Further Maths IGCSE, the syllabus of which can be found here: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-8360-W-SP.PDF
I have also covered logarithms, absolute values, binomial theorem and induction as part of contests and accelerated work schemes. What else might I need before tackling this text?

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to get another/supplemental calculus book or use free online sources like strangs or keisler while going through Spivak. Spivaks book is really an introduction to analysis, which isn't a bad thing but I can't judge from the information provided if you're at that level. Looking at the further math syllabuses you have the prerequisites to start studying calculus at the level I did, whether or not you'd struggle with the epsilon/delta formal nature of Spivak, it's hard to say. You UK kids get a better foundation in math then I did.

IDValour said:
Hello, I am a high school student in the UK who is looking to start studying Calculus from Spivak. My question is as follows: What topics might I need to cover in greater detail before doing so?

It's not so much a question of what mathematical topics you should cover, but rather what you do to understand mathematics. Spivak, like Apostol, is all about rigor and proofs. If this works for you, go for it. Do pretty much all the problems, be persistent, and you'll be fine. However, if this is aspirational, if you want to think rigorously and prove everything but you aren't really there yet, then possibly it would serve you better to do something else to get a handle on that first.

There are quite a few threads on Spivak here and on stackexchange. Read them! Good for you for being ambitious.

1. What is "Precursor to Spivak Calculus"?

"Precursor to Spivak Calculus" is a mathematical textbook written by Michael Spivak. It serves as an introduction to his famous textbook "Calculus" and covers topics such as basic algebra, functions, and limits.

2. Who is the target audience for "Precursor to Spivak Calculus"?

The target audience for "Precursor to Spivak Calculus" is typically high school or college students who are interested in learning the basics of calculus. It is also suitable for self-study for anyone looking to improve their math skills.

3. What makes "Precursor to Spivak Calculus" a good introduction to calculus?

"Precursor to Spivak Calculus" is a good introduction to calculus because it presents the material in a clear and concise manner, with many examples and exercises to reinforce the concepts. It also covers important topics like functions and limits, which are essential for understanding calculus.

4. Can "Precursor to Spivak Calculus" be used as a standalone textbook?

While "Precursor to Spivak Calculus" can be used as a standalone textbook, it is recommended to be used in conjunction with "Calculus" to fully understand the subject. "Precursor to Spivak Calculus" serves as a foundation for the more advanced concepts covered in "Calculus".

5. Is "Precursor to Spivak Calculus" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "Precursor to Spivak Calculus" is suitable for beginners as it starts with basic algebra and gradually introduces more advanced concepts. However, some prior knowledge of algebra and geometry is recommended for a better understanding of the material.