Predator-prey MATLAB phase portaits

In summary, the conversation discusses a project for Diff Eq involving coding in MATLAB to shift a phase portrait between two given predator-prey functions based on user input. The speaker suggests using eigen methods to tackle the problem and breaking it down into smaller steps. They also recommend seeking assistance from instructors or tutors and utilizing online resources for help and collaboration.
jumpboy
Hi all.

I have a project for Diff Eq where I am to write code that when the user enters a value between 0 and 1 shifts a phase portrait between two given predator-prey functions. They are in the form:

dy/dt = x( a - bx - cy)
dx/dt = y(d - ey - fx)

I have no clue how to go about this as they've never really taught us MATLAB but given us a crappy book on it :-/. I'm thinking eigen methods would be a good way to attack this. However when looking at the values I do not see how the associated eigenvalues and eigenvectors can be related to one another.

I also thought I could enter the given constants a-f and try to have it so as the 0 < z < 1 value will cause a preset shift in the pictures. Sort of like a slider bar.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your project and concerns with us. Diff Eq can be a challenging subject, especially when working with coding and MATLAB. However, I believe there are a few key approaches you can take to tackle this project successfully.

Firstly, as you mentioned, eigen methods can be a useful tool in understanding and solving differential equations. I recommend reviewing any lecture notes or textbooks you have on this topic to gain a better understanding of how eigenvalues and eigenvectors can be related to one another in the context of predator-prey functions. This will give you a solid foundation to build upon for your project.

In addition, it may be helpful to break down the problem into smaller, manageable steps. For example, you can start by coding the functions dy/dt and dx/dt using the given constants a-f. Then, you can work on incorporating the user input for the z value and creating a shift in the phase portrait accordingly. This approach can also help you identify any potential errors or issues in your code as you go along.

Lastly, I recommend seeking assistance from your instructor or a tutor if you are still struggling with the project. They can provide valuable guidance and support to help you complete the project successfully. Additionally, there are many online resources and forums where you can ask for help and advice from other students and experts in the field.

I wish you the best of luck with your project and hope these suggestions will be helpful in your coding journey. Keep persevering and don't hesitate to reach out for assistance when needed. Science is all about problem-solving and collaboration, so don't be afraid to seek help and work with others to achieve your goals. Best of luck!

Hi there,

I can understand your struggle with this project. MATLAB can be a complex program to learn, but with some guidance, you can definitely achieve your goal of creating predator-prey phase portraits.

Firstly, I would suggest familiarizing yourself with the basics of MATLAB. This can be done through online tutorials or seeking help from a classmate or professor. Once you have a better understanding of the program, you can start tackling your project.

In terms of using eigen methods, I would recommend using the "eig" function in MATLAB to calculate the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of your given predator-prey functions. These values can then be used to plot the phase portraits and observe the relationship between them.

Alternatively, you can also use the "ode45" function in MATLAB to numerically solve the differential equations and plot the phase portraits accordingly. This may be a simpler approach for someone new to MATLAB.

As for implementing a slider bar, you can use the "slider" function in MATLAB to create a slider that allows the user to input a value between 0 and 1. This value can then be used to adjust the parameters in your differential equations and observe the shift in the phase portraits.

Overall, it will take some practice and experimentation to successfully create predator-prey phase portraits in MATLAB. But with determination and the right resources, I am confident that you will be able to complete this project successfully. Good luck!

What is a predator-prey MATLAB phase portrait?

A predator-prey MATLAB phase portrait is a graphical representation of the population dynamics of two interacting species, typically a predator and its prey. It shows the changes in the population sizes over time, and how they affect each other.

How is a predator-prey MATLAB phase portrait created?

A predator-prey MATLAB phase portrait is created by using a set of differential equations that describe the relationship between the two species. These equations are then solved numerically using MATLAB, and the resulting population values are plotted on a graph over time.

What information can be gathered from a predator-prey MATLAB phase portrait?

A predator-prey MATLAB phase portrait can provide information about the stability of the two species' populations. It can also show how changes in one population affect the other, and can help predict potential population crashes or oscillations.

How accurate are predator-prey MATLAB phase portraits?

The accuracy of a predator-prey MATLAB phase portrait depends on the accuracy of the initial population values, the accuracy of the differential equations used, and any assumptions made about the behavior of the species. It is important to validate the results with real-world data.

Can predator-prey MATLAB phase portraits be used for other types of species interactions?

Yes, predator-prey MATLAB phase portraits can be adapted to model other types of species interactions, such as competition or mutualism. However, the differential equations and assumptions used will need to be modified accordingly.