1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Predator-Prey system

1. Jan 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Scientists studying a population of wolves (y) and a population of rabbits (x) on which the wolves depend for food, have found the sizes x and y of these populations to be modelled well by the equation
    4lny-.02y+3lnx-.001x=37.37

We are given the initial condition of (x, y) = (5000, 300).

The origin (0, 0) is a critical point of the system, not a very happy one because it represents the equilibrium solution in which both species are extinct. Find and plot (on a graph given to us on our handout) the other equilibrium (constant) solution.

2. Relevant equations

NONE

3. The attempt at a solution

See PDF for my solution (sorry if that is an inconvenience).

So basically I set dy/dt and dx/dt to zero to determine the other critical point, since the question mentioned the origin being a critical point for the system.

But at the end it's asking for the other equilibrium (constant) solution. You can separate the equations dy/dt and dx/dt and get 4lny-.02y+3lnx-.001x=C, where this C is presumably the constant that the question is referring to, or at least it seems that way to me.

So is my work helpful for the question at all? Or am I doing something completely different? You can't determine the C in 4lny-.02y+3lnx-.001x=C without having some kind of initial condition. I understand (at least I think) that the equation in the last sentence is the general solution to the Lotka Volterra differential equations in my work. We are given C = 37.37 in our case. So would I just let C = 0 and solve? I can't do anything because we have no initial condition. Let (x,y) = (0,0)? Can't do that either (ln 0 doesn't exist).

I am certain that my work is incomplete and there is more to it. But I don't know what else to do. I DID find dy/dx in an earlier question, so I might think set dy/dx = 0, but it's a rational function and does not have any zeros (ie, both x and y never equal zero), which is clearly a consequence of the original relation itself not allowing zero.

So where do I go from here? I'm just not sure about what the question is actually asking.

Thank you all in advance for your help, much appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2012 #2
    I think the lack of sleep is getting to me. It is clear to me now that all I need to do is plug in (x,y) = (3000,200). I wasn't sure what an equilibrium solution was, but now I recall it's when the rate of change wrt time is equal to zero. And I did that, found (x,y), and that is my "initial condition" so I can find my new value of C.

Seems right to me but if I'm still not on the right track, let me know.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook