Predator vs. prey - trouble

• Thread starter edge
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a project in an LDE class regarding the impact of a generalist predator on a population of prey. The model used is a logistic law and the parameters r, K, p, q, and d have specific biological meanings. The second equation is solved and the solution diagram is discussed, including equilibria and the behavior of solutions as time approaches infinity. A sharp condition is found to guarantee that the prey population does not converge to 0 as time approaches infinity. Qualitative tools are used to argue that this finding applies to the general case. The conversation ends with the person expressing gratitude for the help.
edge
Predator vs. prey -- trouble

I am having a bit of trouble deciding how to tackle a project in my LDE class. Any advice on how to get started or what to look out for would be greatly appreciated. It's quite lengthy so I'll try to shorten it wherever possible.

-----
Address the impact of a generalist predator on a population of preys. Assume that the evolution of the prey pop x and of the predator pop y can be modeled by a logistic law, and that the rate of prey killed is proportional to both, the size of the prey population and the size of the predator population:

(1){ x'(t) = r*x(t)*(1 - x(t)/K) - p*x(t)*y(t)
y'(t) = q*y(t)*(1 - y(t)/d)

1. Explain the biological meaning of the parameters r, K, p, q, d.
(in the following assume all 5 parameters are positive)

2. Solve the second equation of (1) and discuss qualitatively the solution diagram. Address in particular the question of equilibria and the behavior of solutions near these equilibria. Determine the behavior of solutions as t approaches infinity. Only solutions satisfying y(0) >= 0 are relevant.

3. There is one appropriate predator-equilibrium for the application under consideration. Use this equilibrium for y and solve the first equation of (1). Find a sharp condition which guarantees that the size of the prey population does not converge to 0 as te approaches infinity. Determine the limit in that case.

4. Using qualitative tools such as direction fields and uniqueness argue that the findings under 3. extend to the general case. "This requires great care."

Physics news on Phys.org
A "Rough" hint for [2]

(2)

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=qy(1-\frac{y}{d})[/tex]

This means [tex](\frac{1}{y}+\frac{1}{d-y})\frac{dy}{dt}=q[/tex]

Integrate both sides to var t, you will get [tex]ln\frac{y}{d-y}=qt+C_0, C_0 = const[/tex]
[tex]\frac{y}{d-y}=C_1 e^q^t[/tex]

Take y out and substitute it into the equation of x and similarly try to solve that equation (x,t). Then Find lim of x when t goes to infinity, this is what you are being asked to do..

I don't know if I has made any mistake in this post but hehhe you check it again yourself.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Thank you

Thank you very much! That helped =) I think this is simpler than I'm making it. Your help is greatly appreciated :)

1. How do predators choose their prey?

Predators typically choose their prey based on factors such as size, availability, and vulnerability. They may also use certain hunting strategies or techniques to increase their chances of a successful hunt.

2. Are predators always successful in catching their prey?

No, predators are not always successful in catching their prey. Factors such as the prey's speed, agility, and defensive mechanisms can make it difficult for predators to catch them. Additionally, environmental factors such as weather and terrain can also impact a predator's success rate.

3. What are some examples of predator-prey relationships?

Some common examples of predator-prey relationships include lions and gazelles, wolves and deer, and sharks and fish. These relationships are important for maintaining the balance of ecosystems and preventing one species from becoming too dominant.

4. How do prey defend themselves against predators?

Prey have a variety of defense mechanisms to protect themselves from predators. These can include camouflage, speed and agility, defensive structures such as shells or spines, and chemical defenses such as venom or toxins.

5. Can predators and prey ever work together?

In some cases, predators and prey can have a symbiotic relationship where they benefit from each other. For example, some bird species will follow predators such as lions or cheetahs and scavenge on their leftovers. This can provide an easy source of food for the birds while also helping to clean up the environment for the predators.