1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Predicate Logic and Proofs

1. Nov 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

No matter what positive real number x we choose, there exists some positive real number y
    such that yz2 > xz + 10 for every positive integer z.

Translate the above statement to predicate logic and prove it using a direct approach.

2. Relevant equations

I don't believe that there are relevant equations for this problem.

3. The attempt at a solution

Let Q (x, y, z) = yz2 > xz + 10

[itex]\forall[/itex]x ∈ ℝ+ [itex]\exists[/itex]y ∈ ℝ+ [itex]\forall[/itex]z ∈ [itex]Z[/itex]+ Q(x, y, z)

Before I attempted to prove the theorem, I wanted to make sure that I got the predicate logic translation right. I don't think that the above translation is right, but I hope I'm on the right track. I've never translated into predicate logic with 3 variables. It's usually just x and y, so should it be (x, y, z)? Also, does [itex]\forall[/itex]z ∈ [itex]Z[/itex]+ come after Q (x, y, z) since it does in the statement?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I would write it this way.

[itex]\forall (x ∈ R^+, z ∈ Z^+) \exists y ∈ R^+ \ni Q(x, y, z)[/itex]

In addition to other changes, I also replaced ℝwith R, since ℝis so tiny I can barely tell it's a version of the letter R.

There's a nicer one that you can get with mathbb{R}, as in
    [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook