Predict pH of KBr solution (aq)

• Thread starter future_vet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, the aqueous solution of KBr will be neutral because neither component, K+ or Br-, is acidic or basic. K+ is a salt and does not affect the pH, while Br- is the conjugate base of a strong acid, HBr, making it very weak and having no real effect on the pH.
future_vet

Homework Statement

Predict whether an aqueous solution of KBr will be acidic, basic, or neutral.

Homework Equations

KBr(s) → K+(aq) + Br-(aq)
Br-(aq) + H2O(l) ← HBr(aq) + H3O+(aq)

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution will be neutral.

I know that this is the correct answer. I just don't know how they got there.
What I am thinking is: We first dissociate KBr, which will give us the 1st reaction, then we discard the K+ since it's a salt and doesn't affect the pH, and then we see what the reactants are going to be if we dissociate the other product (Br-) in H2O. Apparently, the products of the second reaction are supposed to tell us what the pH of the KBr solution will be.

How?
I know that HBr is a strong acid. I would have thought that the solution is acidic, not neutral. What makes it neutral?

Thank you,

Joanna.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a bit concerned here because (to me) it looks like your second reaction doesn't make sense... it doesn't balance at all.

That's the answer we got from the teacher... I don't understand it either.

We can try another one:

Predict whether an aqueous solution of KHCO3 will be acidic, basic, or neutral?

Reactions:

KHCO3(s) → K+(aq) + CO3-(aq)
CO3-(aq) + H2O(l) <=> HCO3(aq) + OH-(aq)

Solution:
The solution will be basic.

Explanation: Is it basic because we have OH- as a product?

The solution is going to be basic because KHCO3 has a basic component, HCO3-, HCO3- reacts with water

HCO3- (aq) + H2O (l) <-->H2CO3 (aq)+ OH- (aq)

bicarbonate is actually an ampholyte, it can be considered as an acid or base, however it is predominantly basic.

KBr is neutral, because neither components of KBr is acidic or basic.

Oh wait, I think I understand about the KBr. Tell me if my reasoning is wrong:

We get K+, which is a salt, so neither basic or acidic, and we get Br-, which is the conjugate base of HBr => since HBr is a strong acid, it's conjugate base with be very weak, and so it has no real effect on the pH...
Would that be correct?

Thanks!

K+ can be considered as an acid/base, but it is indeed weak with respect to both, your argument for the Br- is good.

Thank you!

1. How do you predict the pH of a KBr solution?

In order to predict the pH of a KBr (potassium bromide) solution, you will need to know the concentration of the solution and the dissociation constant (Ka) of the acid. Using the equation pH = -log([H+]), you can calculate the pH by plugging in the concentration of the solution and the Ka value for KBr.

2. What is the dissociation constant (Ka) of KBr?

The dissociation constant (Ka) of KBr is a measure of how readily KBr dissociates into its ions in water. It is equal to 5.8 x 10^-9 at 25°C.

3. How does the concentration of a KBr solution affect its pH?

The concentration of a KBr solution directly affects its pH. As the concentration increases, so does the concentration of H+ ions, resulting in a lower pH. Conversely, as the concentration decreases, the pH increases.

4. Can KBr act as an acid or a base in solution?

KBr is a salt, meaning it is formed by the reaction of an acid and a base. It does not have the ability to act as an acid or a base in solution, but it can affect the pH of a solution by altering the concentration of H+ ions.

5. How can you experimentally determine the pH of a KBr solution?

To experimentally determine the pH of a KBr solution, you can use a pH meter or pH paper to measure the pH directly. Alternatively, you can use an acid-base indicator that changes color at a specific pH and compare the color change to a standard color chart to determine the pH.