Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Predict the best mile time?

1. Aug 11, 2008 #1
    predict the best mile time??

Now, most people don't run very much and only a few train at all. If you want to know your "personal best" mile time you need to do a lot of training. Let's say that only 1/20 people in a population bother to do this.

We have all of their mile times. Let's say the average is 7:30 and the best is 4:12. The SD is... I don't know, let's say, 1 min.

Now based on the fact that this is only 5% of the population can we predict the world record mile time if EVERY woman trained until she could run her personal best?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2008 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: predict the best mile time??

I would imagine that most people who have a special ability to run do train -- at least at a local, e.g. high school level -- and so learn how good they are. I don't think adding the other 95% would even double the number of world-class runners. But if it did, you might expect with ~50% probability an improvement in the record. This would likely be a small improvement (probably less than a tenth of a second).

But if you want to treat it as a stats problem, let's assume that each person is chosen from a normal distribution with mean 7:30, and that the current runners were selected arbitrarily (that the other 95%, if trained, would be just as good on average, and equally distributed).

With ~325 million runners who now train, the world record would be 5.81 standard deviations below the mean. This makes the standard deviation ~34.1 seconds. With 6.5 billion people, the record would be 6.29 standard deviations instead. This would improve the time by ~16.4 seconds to an amazing 3:56.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  4. Aug 11, 2008 #3

What percentile did you give the top score to get an SD of 5.81 ?

5. Aug 11, 2008 #4

Oh that's based on the population. I see.

How reliable is this? I mean if our data are good (unbiased sample)...

6. Aug 11, 2008 #5

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not reliable at all. It's based on the assumption that runner's don't self-select for a propensity for speed, and I think that's a terrible assumption. The assumption of normality is also a bad assumption, though probably less of a cause of error than the first. Finally, we assume that 5% push their limits far enough to tell if they could be world-class runners; this could be high or low, I have no idea.

I would much sooner guess 0.1 seconds than 16.4 seconds.

7. Aug 11, 2008 #6

Still, the women's world record was like 6:15 in 1920.

8. Aug 11, 2008 #7

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And to what do you attribute that change?

9. Aug 11, 2008 #8

Mostly? More women running. It became more socially acceptable.

10. Aug 11, 2008 #9

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, and my 'prediction' model doesn't take that into account. Nor does it take better nutrition, improved healthcare, gene mixing ('hybrid vigor'), artificial genetic selection, or a host of other things into account. It just takes a few questionable assumptions and takes them to their logical conclusion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?