Equilibrium Formula Derivation for Torque and Lever Systems

• Thread starter pinky2468
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, the conversation is about a homework question that involves deriving a formula using the definitions of torque and lever arm. The given equation is Xo= m1x1 + m2x2 + m3x3 / m1 + m2+ m3 and the person is unsure how to turn it into a formula. The equations T1=m1gl1, T2=m2gl2, l1=Xo-X1, l2=Xo-X2, l3=Xo-X3 are given in the previous chapter and Xo is the balance point between m1X1 and m3X3 with m2X2 on the right of m3X3.
pinky2468
I have this homework question that I an having a lot of trouble with. I am not sure if anyone could help, but here it is:

Using the definitions of torque and lever arm and the fact that the system is in equilibrium, derive this formula-
Xo= m1x1 + m2x2 + m3x3
... m1 + m2+ m3

So, I know all the different formulas for torque and the levers etc... but I can't figure out how to turn them into this formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mind telling what [itex]x_0,x_1,x_2,x_3[/itex] are?
All I can tell is that the equation can be written as such:
[tex]m_1(x_1-x_0)+m_2(x_2-x_0)+m_3(x_3-x_0)=0[/tex]

Maybe that helps...

That does help, here are some of the given equations in the chapter before the problem:

T1=m1gl1 T2=m2gl2 l1=Xo-X1 l2=Xo-X2 l3=Xo-X3

The numbers in the equation:
Xo= 121.8(.3000) + 71.40(6500) + 145.4(.5005)/ 121.8 + 71.40 + 145.4

121.8=m1(hanging mass from bar on the left) 71.40=m2(hanging mass on the right)
145.4=m3(mass from the center of gravity) and we are looking for Xo-the balance point in between m1X1 and m3X3 wih m2X2 on the right of m3X3

Does that help or make it more confusing?

1. What is equilibrium in a scientific context?

Equilibrium is a state of balance or stability in a system, where there is no net change or movement. In chemistry, it refers to a point in a chemical reaction where the concentrations of reactants and products remain constant over time.

2. How is equilibrium predicted in a chemical reaction?

The equilibrium of a chemical reaction can be predicted using the equilibrium constant, which is calculated by dividing the product concentrations by the reactant concentrations at equilibrium. The value of the equilibrium constant indicates the direction and extent of the reaction.

3. What factors affect the prediction of equilibrium?

The prediction of equilibrium is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the initial concentrations of reactants and products. Changes in these factors can shift the equilibrium position of a reaction.

4. Can equilibrium be altered or controlled?

Yes, the equilibrium of a chemical reaction can be altered or controlled by changing the conditions of the system, such as by adding or removing reactants or products, changing temperature or pressure, or using a catalyst. However, the equilibrium constant remains the same regardless of these changes.

5. What are the practical applications of predicting equilibrium?

Predicting equilibrium is essential in understanding and controlling chemical reactions in various industries, such as pharmaceuticals, food production, and environmental management. It also helps in optimizing reaction conditions to increase yields and minimize waste in chemical processes.