Can I Predict the Correct Dice Using Probability Distributions?

• Thread starter aaaa202
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dice
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the probability of correctly guessing which of two dice was rolled based on the result of a single roll. The best strategy is to choose the die with the higher probability for rolling that result. This problem can be solved using Bayesian inference, with the formula P(A|X) = P(X|A) * P(A) / P(X). The probability of correctly guessing the die depends on the probabilities of rolling the result for each die, with a 100% chance of being correct if one die has a probability of 0 while the other has a probability greater than 0, and a 50% chance if both dice have the same probability for the result.
aaaa202
Say I have two dice which have different probability distributions but I don't know which probability distribution belongs to what dice.
I now throw one of them exactly one time and the result is x. I know that die A has probability pA(x) for rolling x and die B has probability pB(x).
I want to find out if the die I rolled was die A or B. Obviously my best strategy is to guess the die for which the probability for rolling x is the bigger. But what is my probability for being correct? I have been trying to figure out this problem for days. Obviously if pB(x)=0 while pA(x)>0 I have 100% chance of being correct. Moreover if pB(x)=pA(x) then I have 50% chance of being correct. But is there an expression for arbitrary probabilities and how do I find it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice question. This would be a perfect application for Bayesian inference.

Are you familiar with Bayes theorem?

Yes P(XlY) = P(YlX) * P(Y)/P(X)

So in my case P(Alx) is the probability that the die is A given that it shows x, while P(xlA) is the probability that the die shows x given that it is die A and P(A) is the probability that it is die A given no prior information, i.e. P(A)=0.5 and P(x) is then the probability for tossing an x given no prior information, which would be 0.5*(pA(x)+pB(x)).. hmm.. is that correct?

Yes. I think that is correct.

1. How accurate is the prediction of the correct dice?

The accuracy of predicting the correct dice depends on various factors, such as the method used for prediction, the complexity of the dice, and external factors like air resistance. In controlled environments, the accuracy can be high, but in real-world scenarios, it may vary.

2. What methods are used for predicting the correct dice?

There are various methods used for predicting the correct dice, including mathematical models, computer simulations, and physical experiments. Each method has its advantages and limitations, and the most suitable one depends on the specific scenario.

3. Can predicting the correct dice be used in gambling?

It is not ethical or legal to use predicting the correct dice in gambling. Additionally, the accuracy of the prediction may not be high enough to guarantee a win in gambling scenarios.

4. Is predicting the correct dice considered a form of cheating?

In some cases, predicting the correct dice may be considered a form of cheating, especially in games or scenarios where luck is a significant factor. It is essential to follow ethical and legal practices when using any predictive methods.

5. Can predicting the correct dice be applied in other areas besides games?

Yes, predicting the correct dice can have various practical applications, such as in statistics, physics, and engineering. It can also be used in decision-making processes in various industries.