Is There a Preferred Axis in Cosmology and What Could Be Its Origin?

In summary, the paper discusses the existence of preferred axes in cosmology and their implications for the cosmological principle. Observations, such as the CMB temperature anisotropy and the motion of galaxies, indicate that these preferred directions align with the direction of the CMB kinematic dipole. The authors suggest that these anomalies have a common origin that is not cosmological or due to a gravitational effect, and may be related to systematic or contaminative errors in observation or data analysis. They also briefly mention the possible variation of the fine structure constant, a dimensionless constant that describes charged particle interactions, and how it may be related to these preferred axes. However, while there are some observations that suggest the fine structure constant may vary, there
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Is there a preferred axis in cosmology, if there is what is the origin?

arXiv:1604.05484 [pdf, other]
Preferred axis in cosmology
Wen Zhao, Larissa Santos
Comments: 21 pages, 9 figures, 8 tables, invited review
Subjects: Cosmology and Nongalactic Astrophysics (astro-ph.CO); General Relativity and Quantum Cosmology (gr-qc)

The foundation of modern cosmology relies on the so-called cosmological principle which states an homogeneous and isotropic distribution of matter in the universe on large scales. However, recent observations, such as the temperature anisotropy of the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation, the motion of galaxies in the universe, the polarization of quasars and the acceleration of the cosmic expansion, indicate preferred directions in the sky. If these directions have a cosmological origin, the cosmological principle would be violated, and modern cosmology should be reconsidered. In this paper, by considering the preferred axis in the CMB parity violation, we find that it coincides with the preferred axes in CMB quadrupole and CMB octopole, and they all align with the direction of the CMB kinematic dipole. In addition, the preferred directions in the velocity flows, quasar alignment, anisotropy of the cosmic acceleration, the handedness of spiral galaxies, and the angular distribution of the fine-structure constant are also claimed to be aligned with the CMB kinematic dipole. Since CMB dipole was confirmed to be caused by the motion of our local group of galaxies relative to the reference frame of the CMB, the coincidence of all these preferred directions hints that these anomalies have a common origin, which is not cosmological or due to a gravitational effect. The systematical or contaminative errors in observation or in data analysis, which can be directly related to the motion of our local group of galaxies, can play an important role in explaining the anomalies

Space news on Phys.org
A preferred axis would violate the assumptions underlying GR of a homogeneous and isotropic (on a sufficiently large scale) universe. Yet GR does not necessarily describe the universe we actually live in.

However, the authors conclude that there likely isn't a preferred axis "Since CMB dipole was confirmed to be caused by the motion of our local group of galaxies relative to the reference frame of the CMB, the coincidence of all these preferred directions hints that these anomalies have a common origin, which is not cosmological or due to a gravitational effect. "

Likes wolram
What do you suppose they could possibly mean by the "angular distribution of the fine-structure constant" ? How does a dimensionless constant have an "angular distribution"?

phinds said:
What do you suppose they could possibly mean by the "angular distribution of the fine-structure constant" ? How does a dimensionless constant have an "angular distribution"?

The fine structure constant can be estimated from cosmic observations no? So look at the estimated value as a function of position in the sky? At least that was my interpretation, but I'm just a layman...

Likes DrSteve
Lord Crc said:
The fine structure constant can be estimated from cosmic observations no? So look at the estimated value as a function of position in the sky? At least that was my interpretation, but I'm just a layman...
I think you need to look up the definition of the fine structure constant.

EDIT: hm ... I find that there may be more to the fine structure constant than I realized. I thought it was a simple ratio of factors in charged particle interactions and could not vary with position but that seems to be either debatable or wrong.

Last edited:
phinds said:
I think you need to look up the definition of the fine structure constant.
Fair enough.

FWIW the reference given is http://arxiv.org/abs/1008.3907 which seems to talk about [itex]\Delta\alpha / \alpha[/itex] and how it varies.

Lord Crc said:
Fair enough.

FWIW the reference given is http://arxiv.org/abs/1008.3907 which seems to talk about [itex]\Delta\alpha / \alpha[/itex] and how it varies.
My edit must have crossed this post in the ether :smile:

Likes Lord Crc
phinds said:
I thought it was a simple ratio of factors in charged particle interactions and could not vary with position but that seems to be either debatable or wrong.

"Somewhat debatable" would best describe our current state of knowledge. Our best current theories predict that it is a constant, at least within our observable universe; but there are some observations which suggest it might vary. But it's only a suggestion, and AFAIK nobody has come up with a theoretical framework that predicts it should vary.

PeterDonis said:
"Somewhat debatable" would best describe our current state of knowledge. Our best current theories predict that it is a constant, at least within our observable universe; but there are some observations which suggest it might vary. But it's only a suggestion, and AFAIK nobody has come up with a theoretical framework that predicts it should vary.
Thanks Peter.

1. What is the preferred axis in cosmology?

The preferred axis in cosmology is a hypothetical axis or direction in the universe that may play a significant role in the structure and evolution of the universe. It is also known as the cosmological axis of evil or the cosmological axis of symmetry.

2. How was the preferred axis in cosmology discovered?

The preferred axis in cosmology was first proposed in 2005 by a team of researchers who analyzed the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMB) data from the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) satellite. They found a surprising alignment of the largest structures in the universe with a specific axis, which they called the axis of evil.

3. What is the significance of the preferred axis in cosmology?

The preferred axis in cosmology could have major implications for our understanding of the universe and its evolution. If it is confirmed, it could challenge the current theories of cosmology and require a reevaluation of our understanding of the structure and origins of the universe.

4. Is the preferred axis in cosmology accepted by the scientific community?

The preferred axis in cosmology is a highly debated and controversial topic in the scientific community. While some studies have confirmed its existence, others have failed to find any evidence of a preferred axis. Therefore, its existence is still a subject of ongoing research and debate.

5. How does the preferred axis in cosmology relate to the concept of cosmic inflation?

Cosmic inflation is a theory that explains the rapid expansion of the universe in its early stages. The preferred axis in cosmology could be a remnant of this inflation, as it suggests a possible preferred direction in the universe's expansion. However, this is still a topic of debate and further research is needed to fully understand the relationship between the two.