1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Preferred Basis Problem

1. Mar 16, 2012 #1

bon

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to understand the preferred basis problem in the foundations of QM

Ok so I read somewhere that in general any state can be decomposed in different ways.

I don't quite see how this is meant to work

Suppose 'up' / 'down' represent z component of ang mom, then one spin state is

psi = 1/root 2 |up> + 1/root 2 |down>

What's another way to represent this same state in a different basis? How does it relate to the preferred basis problem?

Thanks

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2012 #2
    Are you familiar with change-of-basis problems for regular finite-dimensional vector spaces? For instance, if you take a plain old Cartesian graph, you can define a set of basis vectors (up-down, side-to-side). Then a vector pointing to the right is (1,0), and a vector pointing up is (0,1). A vector with unit norm pointing at a 45 degree angle is 1/sqrt(2) (1, 1). However, you could also define the basis vectors as (45 degrees right, 45 degrees left), in which case the 45 degree vector becomes (1,0), and the up-down and side-to-side vectors are mixed.

In QM it works exactly the same way. In the spin system, you have Spin Z+ and Spin Z-, so you can define those as the basis vectors and have (1,0) and (0,1) as the two basis states. However, you can also define spin in a different direction, in which case the Z+ and Z- states will be represented as a mixed vector, just like the 45-degree vector above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook