Mastering SI-Prefix Conversions: A Guide for Easy Homework Help

• Thread starter bluepilotpen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
So, to convert from microlitres to millilitres, you multiply by 10-3, which is the same as dividing by 1000. In summary, when converting SI prefixes, you can use the mnemonic "Texas Girls Must Know Base Marines Use No Protection" to remember the order and values of the prefixes. To convert between prefixes, you multiply or divide by the appropriate power of ten.
bluepilotpen

Homework Statement

My question doesn't really fit into the template here, but I'll give it a shot, anyway.

How do you go about converting SI-prefixes? I understand you're supposed to convert the prefixes into associated power of ten's, but then I'm stuck. How do you continue? Sometimes I get it right, sometimes wrong.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks! Oh, and sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. I blame it on a bad night's sleep.

Homework Equations

The problem could look like this:

Convert 4 uL (microlitres) to mL (millilitres).

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Try it this way:

Convert 8L (litres) into ml (millilitres).

8L * (1000ml/1L) = 8000ml

See what happened? You've got a unit, L, for your 8 litres, and you want to change that into ml, so you multiply it by ml/L, as you know that there are 1000ml in a litre. You're essentially multiplying by 1, which doesn't change anything =)

Your example:
Convert 4 uL (microlitres) to mL (millilitres)

The easiest way to go about this is to apply a unit factor/conversion. When I was in the military they taught me a good little (albeit non p/c) mnemonic.

Texas Girls Must Know Base Marines Use No Protection

T G M k base m u n p

Just remember that each one of those (working out from the base) is 3 more to the exponent.
So T is 10^12, and m is 10^3 etc..

Aside from that, you have to remember deci and centi between the base and m.

For your example, take the given value and apply a unit factor:

[tex]4uL\frac{1L}{10^6 uL}[/tex]

This gives you the "base", and you must them convert it to mL by multiplying in another unit factor.

[tex]4uL\frac{1L}{10^6 uL}\frac{10^3 mL}{1L} = .004 mL[/tex]
Pay close attention to the unit, and treat it like a variable. When you want to convert from one to the other, apply the unit factor in such a way where the original unit cancels out.

Both SI prefixes and units are items that you multiply with.

In your example you have:

4 uL
= 4 x micro x L
= 4 x 10-6 x L
= 4 x 10-3 x 10-3 x L
= 4 x 10-3 x milli x L
= 4 x 10-3 mL

What is a prefix?

A prefix is a group of letters added to the beginning of a word to change its meaning.

Why do we use prefixes?

We use prefixes to create new words and to change the meaning of existing words. They help us to understand and communicate more effectively.

How do I know which prefix to use?

The prefix you use depends on the meaning you want to convey. For example, if you want to indicate "not" or "opposite," you would use the prefix "un-."

Can prefixes change the part of speech of a word?

Yes, prefixes can change the part of speech of a word. For example, the prefix "un-" can change a verb into an adjective, as in "happy" and "unhappy."

What are some common prefixes and their meanings?

Some common prefixes include "un-" (not, opposite), "re-" (again), "pre-" (before), "dis-" (away), and "anti-" (against).