Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pregnant Teenie Boppers Unite!

1. Sep 4, 2008 #1
    Can this election year become any more of a surreal tabloid story?
    Alot of people have been pointing out that when Jamie Lynn was found out to be pregnant the conservatives accused her mother of being a terrible parent.
    I suppose if she had pulled out the matrimonial shotgun then she would have been considered a wonderful mother.

Another fun one to share...
    Is McCain a Cylon?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2008 #2
    I'm sure the mothers of Spears and Palin talked with there daughters about sex and what can happen if you don't use protection. I don't think it is the mothers' fault that their daughters got pregnant.

4. Sep 6, 2008 #3
    Palin's religion only allows abstinence for birth control.

5. Sep 6, 2008 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Palin is against teaching sex education, her religious views only allow abstinence.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/01/AR2008090102305.html

6. Sep 6, 2008 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then surely she is an excellent advert for sex education. :confused: And they still thought she'd be an excellent running mate?

7. Sep 6, 2008 #6
    Abstinence is like telling your child not to do drugs. They're going to do what their peers are doing. How can anyone not figure this out? It's best to reiterate that pregnancy may happen with sex. And of course, if you do drugs you can die, but not informing children of life altering decisions is wrong. What in the heck is Palin thinking?

8. Sep 6, 2008 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. Sep 6, 2008 #8

Evo

10. Sep 6, 2008 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think there's any reason to believe she's against using contraception. She just seems to share the bizarre notion with many others that teens shouldn't be told how to use it and thinks that those who engage in intercourse will magically figure it out in time to prevent having to consider an abortion.

I have to admit there are days when I think about how many people have misconceptions about birth control and how badly so many understand reproductive biology that I have my own doubts if I'd want my own kids to learn about it in school (if I had kids that is). I darn well would make sure they learned about it, and would be glad to teach anyone else's kids if they asked me to teach them, but I'd worry that some teachers are not any better informed than the rest of the general public. I might have been lucky in school that we had a health teacher who was a former obstetrical nurse, so she was VERY informed about a lot of reproductive issues, but sometimes it's just the gym teacher giving a "birds and the bees" lecture that I worry about.

I'm pretty sure her reasons are quite different from mine. Though, I wonder if having a now pregnant teenage daughter might change her position a bit on the education issue. Maybe facing the reality of the failure of abstinence-only education, she'll come around on this.

11. Sep 6, 2008 #10
    Isn't that the idea?

I'm just joking.

12. Sep 6, 2008 #11
    Keep in mind that most kids 17 and younger are NOT engaging in sexual intercourse. In my opinion, the 'peer pressure' argument is blunted by the following facts.

I have emphasized some of the text below.
    ABC News

The same goes for drug use (other than alcohol). Most teens do not take drugs.
    Bureau of Justice

My kids are aware of this. When their peers say "Hey, everyone's doing it", my kids know it's a lie.

13. Sep 6, 2008 #12
    I'm taking your keyboard away for 10 minutes for that one.

14. Sep 7, 2008 #13
    Very scary...

15. Sep 7, 2008 #14
    The story may not be true.
    Boston Herald

16. Sep 7, 2008 #15

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Bill O' Reilly disagrees. With himself.

He expressly said that it is the fault of the parents for no being able to control or influence the actions of their underage daughters. That was for Spears.

He then said that it was nobody's business as to what goes on inside a family's internal affairs, as long as the situation did not involve dependence on taxpayers. That was for the Palins.

17. Sep 7, 2008 #16

Borek

Now we know why do you safely abuse your kids to get better pictures for PF contests :wink:

18. Sep 7, 2008 #17

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just wait till you see my entry for the "Fun With Knives" contest! (No child was harmed!)

19. Sep 7, 2008 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yet

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/02/palin_slashed_funding_to_help.html

http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_...andling-of-other-people-s-pregnant-teens.aspx

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?