1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Preimages problem

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1
    [PLAIN]http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/5949/metric.jpg [Broken]

If [itex]X,Y[/itex] are sets and [itex]f:X\to Y[/itex] is a function with [itex]B\subset Y[/itex], the preimage is defined [itex]f^*(B) = \{x\in X : f(x) \in B\}[/itex].

If [itex]d_X, d_Y[/itex] are metrics on [itex]X,Y[/itex], continuity of [itex]f[/itex] can be characterised as follows:

The preimage of any open (resp. closed) set in [itex](Y,d_Y)[/itex] is open (resp. closed) in [itex](X,d_X)[/itex].

Hence, for example if we define [itex]f_1 (x,y) = x-y[/itex] then [itex]f_1[/itex] is continuous and [itex]A_1 = f_1^*\left( (-\infty ,1] \right)[/itex]. Since [itex](-\infty , 1][/itex] is closed, [itex]A_1[/itex] is closed.

Similarly for [itex]A_2[/itex] and [itex]A_3[/itex], but not sure about [itex]A_4[/itex]. Can I write it in a way that makes it more obvious/easier to work with the preimage?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Preimages

Left f(x,y)= x- y, a continuous function. The set of all (x, y) such that [itex]x- y\le 1[/itex] is the preimage, by that function, of the set [itex]\{z| z\le 1\}[/itex]. Since that is a closed interval, it follows that A1 is a closed sert.

4. Nov 7, 2011 #3
    Re: Preimages

I know that ([itex]A_1[/itex] is the one I proved already!) - it's [itexA_4[/tex] that I can't see how to do...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook