Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Preinstall Windows 7

1. Dec 26, 2009 #1
    I just put together a new desktop. Bought the case, power supply, motherboard, processor, etc and connected everything up. I purchased Windows 7 Pro OEM, and now I find "If the individual software license is for a desktop operating system or application software, it also must be preinstalled on the hard drive of the fully assembled computer system, using the OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK)." I'm not sure I understand this. Do I need another computer to accomplish this? If I had an external drive enclosure, do I somehow (OPK process running on a laptop?) install the OS to that drive, then take the disk out and re-install it in the desktop case?

If anyone has had experience on setting up a completely virgin PC, I'd appreciate tips. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2009 #2

Staff: Mentor

Have you tried here:

I have never installed W7, but I have assembled tens of PCs and installing Windows for the first time was never a problem (unless you were hit by compatibility/driver issues) - and never required other computer. Doesn't mean it is still the same.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook