Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prelude to physics

1. Aug 1, 2004 #1
    What other science will most influence physics in the foreseeable future?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2004 #2
  4. Aug 1, 2004 #3
    Technology integration with a eye on mental health, and fun. :yuck:
  5. Aug 1, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Since when is linguistics a science? Biology will have the biggest impact on biophysics.
  6. Aug 1, 2004 #5
    The major influence on Physics will be what is has always been: Mathematics.
  7. Aug 1, 2004 #6
    It will be a toss up between nano-tecknology=new materials and nuclear engineering=fission.
  8. Aug 1, 2004 #7
    Mathematics is already making a huge impact on physics and it is thought that within the next five to fifty years the two will finally be reconciled. Logistics under pin mathematics and linguistics under pin logistics.
  9. Aug 1, 2004 #8

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

astronomy is the science with the most influence on the development of theoretical physics now and for the foreseeable future

what technologies will influence physics is another question:
    the technology that e.g. goes into satellite observatories (gammaray, microwave observing) and neutrino astronomy and ultrahigh energy cosmic ray astronomy, and so forth is an important factor.
    but instrument R and D is its own thing distinct from science.
    so for the most influential science I say astronomy
  10. Aug 1, 2004 #9
    I said technology integration.
    There is a overflow of papers that go unnoticed by the physics, and science researchers.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2004
  11. Aug 1, 2004 #10
    Since the beginning of time, so to speak. I believe that lingistics will have the most profound impact on all sciences in the near future, particularly on physics.

Are you really not aware that linguistics is a science? Check dictionary.com, for starters.

For example:

\Lin*guis"tics\ (-t[i^]ks), n. [Cf. F. linguistique.] The science of languages, or of the origin, signification, and application of words; glossology.

[Free Trial - Merriam-Webster Unabridged.]
    Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

n 1: the scientific study of language 2: the humanistic study of language and literature [syn: philology]
  12. Aug 2, 2004 #11
    Philosophy will always be a big contributor to the science of Physics. Trepidaciously I might add that the relationship between Philosophy and Physics is a synergistic one. And that this relationship produces a tangible progress in the efficiency of the understanding of all things existencial.
  13. Aug 2, 2004 #12

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Yeah, but it's a social science. That isn't science.
  14. Aug 2, 2004 #13
    Not true, Functional Contextualists have become the first to bridge the cognitive and behavioral sciences in a consistent and nontrivial manner by studying linguistics. In other words, the hard numbers of the behavioral sciences can now be applied to the study of linguistics. No longer are the cognitive and social sciences always seperate and distinct entities from those of the so called hard sciences.
  15. Aug 2, 2004 #14

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Jeez, guys, can you take a frickin' joke?
  16. Aug 2, 2004 #15
    Why do you assume I was not joking?
  17. Aug 2, 2004 #16
  18. Aug 5, 2004 #17
    I got a good chuckle out of the linguistics response!
  19. Aug 6, 2004 #18
    What do you really know about physics? How do you know this? How do you organize this knowledge? I will give you a hint. You organize your knowledge of physics along the lines of the grammar of the language in which you think. You perhaps think, incorrectly, that there is only one way to view reality, and that your grammar provides a completely unbiased and universal way to view reality and to organize your understanding of physics. This is a major mistake on your part, in my opinion.

For example, physics speaks of space-time. However, the English language does not naturally support a unified concept of space-time, but instead subdivides the concept of space from the concept of time. It takes great theoretical effort for the mind to bridge this division that is built into our grammar.

Eventually, followers of physics will learn that in addition to looking outward, to the ends of the universe, in order to understand the structure of the world, they should also look inward, and analyze the structure of the language through which they filter 100% of all understanding that they have ever had about the structure of the world.

To respond to the original question, I think that linguistics is a safe bet.
  20. Aug 6, 2004 #19
    Physics doesn't use language as a medium, it uses math. Words like "space-time" don't have any meaning in physics, except as much as they apply to math. You'll need to show the linguistic basis of math to do the same for physics.
  21. Aug 6, 2004 #20
    Except when math is latin to the unskilled user. What you mean to say is those who know the language of math use it as a medium to understand physics.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?