Premutations problem help

• Thread starter RedSunflowers32
  • Start date
In summary, the total number of ways for 5 distinct Martians, ten distinct Vesuvians, and eight distinct Jovians to wait together in line without any two Martians standing together is 1.5801827328E15. This can be calculated by factoring out each element and using the equation 5! * 10! * 8! = 1.5801827328E15.
RedSunflowers32
In how many ways can 5 distinct Martians, ten distinct Vesuvians and eight distinct Jovians wait together in line if no two Martains stand together>

2. 10_p_5 = 10! & 5! but what about 8? and 2?

3. 10! = 10*9*8*7*6*5*4*3*2*1
8! = 8*7*6*5*4*3*2*1
5! = 5*4*3*2*1
10*9 = 90/2 = 45?

I am so lost.. I am not a programmer..but required to take this class for my major! Please anyone help me out??

Physics news on Phys.org
consider a line of vesuvians and jovians and fill the martians into the gaps. That'll be the total possible ways of fitting in Martians so that no two matians stay together.

hummm

I did that one already and I didn't like the answer. But thanks.

RedSunflowers32 said:
I did that one already and I didn't like the answer.
what does that mean :confused:

It means I did the chain with every 3rd position there is a Martian, but that does not tell me how to write the equation to present the proper answer. If I factor out each element 5! = 120 * 10! = 3628800 *8! =40320
which gives me an answer of 1.5801827328E15.
Since we are working with combinations and Premutations I'm lost on which way to do the problem.

1. What is the Premutations Problem?

The Premutations Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the number of ways in which a set of objects can be arranged or ordered.

2. How is the Premutations Problem different from the Combinations Problem?

The main difference between the Premutations Problem and the Combinations Problem is that in permutations, the order of the objects matters, while in combinations, the order does not matter.

3. What is the formula for calculating permutations?

The formula for calculating permutations is n!/(n-r)!, where n represents the total number of objects and r represents the number of objects being arranged or ordered.

4. Can the Premutations Problem be solved using a calculator?

Yes, the Premutations Problem can be solved using a scientific calculator by using the nPr function, where n represents the total number of objects and r represents the number of objects being arranged or ordered.

5. How can the Premutations Problem be applied in real life situations?

The Premutations Problem can be applied in various real life situations such as determining the number of possible outcomes in a game, calculating the number of ways in which a group of people can be seated at a table, or finding the number of possible combinations for a lock code.