How Many Minutes Does $100 Buy on a $.20/Minute Prepaid Cellphone Plan?

• Thread starter Embison
  • Start date
In summary, Based on the given information, it can be calculated that for a cellphone plan charging $0.20 per minute, $100 would provide a theoretical maximum of 500 minutes. For a plan offering 250 text messages per month for $5, each text message would cost $0.02, or 0.02 dollars, not cents. It is important to follow the correct processes rather than guessing for accurate results.
Embison
How many minutes do you get for $100 if the cellphone plan charges .20 a minute?

I think it's 500 minutes but I'm not sure...I just kinda guessed randomly in my head. But I am not exactly sure how I came up with it lol.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's correct. It follows from dividing the two numbers so that the units cancel:

[tex]\frac{100~\mbox{dollars}}{ 0.2~\frac{\mbox{dollars}}{\mbox{minute}}} = \frac{1000}{2} \frac{\mbox{dollars}~\cdot~\mbox{minute}}{\mbox{dollars}} = 500~\mbox{minutes}.[/tex]

Of course, that's the theoretical maximum you get. Unless the company does to the second counting, "a minute" is anywhere between 0 seconds and 60 seconds, so the actual total could be less - e.g., make 500 one second phone calls and you might be out $100!

Thank you for all of that information! I really appreciate your help.

Most people can think their way through the steps to do this calculation in their head.

THINK: 20 cents for 1 minute, this upscales to 1 dollar for 5 minutes. You might simply think, "one fifth of a dollar for 1 minute, five times that is 1 dollar for 5 minutes." The ratio is the same.
Next understand that 100 dollars is 100 times larger than for 1 dollar. Just multiply the "5 minutes" the corresponding factor of 5.

How much does each text message cost if I get 250 text messages a month for $5?

is that 0.02 cents each or something?

Embison said:
How much does each text message cost if I get 250 text messages a month for $5?

is that 0.02 cents each or something?

In other wording, you ask, "how many dollars for one text message?".
Simple ratio, and convenient numbers. 5.00 Dollars for 250 messages. You can divide by 5 as simple mental computation. What is that? Your turn!

I don't know I already guessed 0.02 cents each.

You're pretty good at guessing. :D

Embison said:
I don't know I already guessed 0.02 cents each.

Do not guess. Follow the described processes. You should be able to perform the processes in your head. If you cannot do these in your head, then use pencil and paper calculations to find the results.

You said to divide 250 by 5 and that comes out to 50. I think you're supposed to divide 5 by 250 though which comes out to 0.02 cents. Why are you asking me for the answer when I am asking you? lol I already said my answer was 0.02 from the beginning but I wanted confirmation that I was right so I know for sure.

It comes out to 0.02 dollars, not 0.02 cents.

In post #5 I am asking a completely separate question from my original post. Nothing about my first post should be factored into my question in post #5.

Can you imagine 1 text message costing $2 each haha.

1. What is a prepaid cellphone plan?

A prepaid cellphone plan is a type of cellphone plan where you pay for minutes, texts, and data in advance, rather than paying for a set amount each month. This allows for more flexibility and control over your phone usage, as you can choose how much to spend and when to refill your plan.

2. How do prepaid cellphone plans work?

Prepaid cellphone plans typically involve purchasing a prepaid SIM card or phone, and then buying a certain amount of minutes, texts, and data to use. As you use your phone, the minutes, texts, and data are deducted from your balance. Once your balance runs out, you can refill it with more minutes, texts, and data.

3. What are the benefits of a prepaid cellphone plan?

There are several benefits to using a prepaid cellphone plan. These include no long-term contracts, no credit checks, and no surprise charges at the end of the month. Prepaid plans also offer more control over your phone usage and can be more cost-effective for those who don't use their phone frequently.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a prepaid cellphone plan?

While there are many benefits to using a prepaid cellphone plan, there are also some potential drawbacks to consider. These include higher per-minute or per-text rates, less coverage options, and the need to regularly monitor and refill your balance. Additionally, prepaid plans may not offer the same deals or promotions as traditional cellphone plans.

5. Can I use my current phone with a prepaid plan?

In most cases, yes, you can use your current phone with a prepaid plan. However, you may need to get your phone unlocked from your current carrier or purchase a prepaid SIM card that is compatible with your phone. It's important to check with the prepaid provider to ensure your phone will work with their plan before making a switch.