1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Preparation for jackson

1. Dec 20, 2005 #1
    I'm getting ready to take my graduate class in electrodynamics, and I'm wondering what I can do in the next couple weeks to prepare myself for the torture that is certain to ensue.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Brush up on your PDE's, Green's functions, the method of images, and vector integral theorems. You might also brush up on your complex variables. Jackson never explicitly invokes them but several of your homework solutions will be shortened by pages if you know how and when to use those methods.
  4. Dec 20, 2005 #3
    Thank you for the input.
    for Vector Calc and image problems I'm using griffiths, for PDE i'm using Boas, for Green's Functions I'm using Byron and Fuller (Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics).
    Are there any other resources anyone can suggest?
  5. Dec 20, 2005 #4
    Boas also has a (rather short) section on Green's Functions. For getting vector calc down solid I reccomend Div, Grad, Curl and All That by H. M. Schey, you can get it pretty cheaply (although it isn't a Dover book) and he does a very thorough treatment.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?