1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Preparation of benzylamine

1. Aug 28, 2007 #1
    I need to answer a assignment question about how one can prepare benzylamine by reducing benzamide with LiAlH4. I read that LiAlH4 is a good reducing agent, and I understand that, but can someone explain how benzamide gets reduced?

And in the other half of the question, it says that this reaction does not go to completion, and that there is still a substantial amount of benzamide still in the product (but that it is mostly benzylamine). I need to explain with the aid of a flow diagram, how I would separate the pure benzylamine. Can anyone help me?

Please post it here, or send me a mail on: Kenneth_toerlen@hotmail.com ! Need it as soon as possible :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2008 #2
    Hi kenneth,

I am looking for the same thing (I am betting we are both in the same course). Not sure if we're supposed to do this though, I find the easiest way to trawl for related info in Wikipedia or chemistry websites, and piece it together.

Good luck.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?