How Do You Calculate Keq from a 66.6% Yield in Esterification?

• Thread starter ChemDoodle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Preparation
In summary, the student reported a % yield of 66.6% in the preparation of isoamyl acetate using equimolar amounts of starting materials. To calculate the equilibrium constant of the esterification process, the student needs the concentrations of products and reactants. Using the reaction: CH3CO2H + HOCH2CH2CH(CH3)2 ---> CH3CO2CH2CH2CH(CH3)2 +H2O, the equilibrium constant can be calculated using the concentrations of CH3CO2CH2CH2CH(CH3)2 and the initial concentrations of CH3CO2H and HOCH2CH2CH(CH3)2. To determine these concentrations, the student can use sto
ChemDoodle
In the preparation of isoamyl acetate, a student reported a % yield of 66.6%.Assuming that he used equimolar amounts of the starting materials,what is the equilibirium constant of the esterification process?

I need conc of products & conc of reactants to get Keq but how do i get that? They only said that equimolar amounts were used & that means there is no limiting or excess reagent.

All I've managed to get so far is that i need to use the reaction:
CH3CO2H + HOCH2CH2CH(CH3)2 ---> CH3CO2CH2CH2CH(CH3)2 +H2O

Keq= [CH3CO2CH2CH2CH(CH3)2] / [CH3CO2H] [HOCH2CH2CH(CH3)2]

But how do i get these conc.?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to assume that volume has not changed and use stoichiometry to calculate final amounts of unreacted rectants. That's in a way similar to using ICE table.

And don't forget C=n/V.

--

33.4% of the reactants have not reacted. So if we assume V=100ml that means 33.4ml have not reacted and 66.6 ml is V for the product. Is this correct?
Incase it is, how do i get n? I only need n for one species because its equimolar & stoich is 1:1.

Start assuming initially n=1. Write expression for K. Check if volume doesn't cancel out.

--

What is the purpose of preparing esters?

Esters are organic compounds that are commonly used in various industries such as food, fragrance, and pharmaceuticals. The main purpose of preparing esters is to create new compounds with desirable properties that can be used in these industries. Esters can also be used as solvents, plasticizers, and flavoring agents.

What is the general process for preparing esters?

The general process for preparing esters involves the reaction between an alcohol and a carboxylic acid in the presence of an acid catalyst. This reaction is known as esterification and typically requires heating to speed up the process. The resulting product is an ester and water.

How is the equilibrium constant (Keq) related to the preparation of esters?

The equilibrium constant (Keq) is a measure of the ratio of products to reactants at equilibrium in a chemical reaction. In the preparation of esters, Keq is used to determine the extent of the reaction and the yield of the desired ester product. A higher Keq value indicates a higher yield of ester product.

What factors can affect the equilibrium constant (Keq) in the preparation of esters?

The equilibrium constant (Keq) in the preparation of esters can be affected by factors such as temperature, concentration of reactants and products, and the presence of impurities. These factors can shift the equilibrium towards the reactants or products, resulting in a change in the Keq value.

How can the yield of ester products be increased in the preparation process?

To increase the yield of ester products in the preparation process, the reaction can be conducted at a higher temperature, using excess of one of the reactants, or by removing water as it is formed. Additionally, using a more concentrated acid catalyst and purifying the product through distillation can also increase the yield of ester products.