1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Preparation of esters & Keq

1. Dec 20, 2009 #1
    In the preparation of isoamyl acetate, a student reported a % yield of 66.6%.Assuming that he used equimolar amounts of the starting materials,what is the equilibirium constant of the esterification process?

I need conc of products & conc of reactants to get Keq but how do i get that? They only said that equimolar amounts were used & that means there is no limiting or excess reagent.

All ive managed to get so far is that i need to use the reaction:
    CH3CO2H + HOCH2CH2CH(CH3)2 ---> CH3CO2CH2CH2CH(CH3)2 +H2O

Keq= [CH3CO2CH2CH2CH(CH3)2] / [CH3CO2H] [HOCH2CH2CH(CH3)2]

But how do i get these conc.?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You have to assume that volume has not changed and use stoichiometry to calculate final amounts of unreacted rectants. That's in a way similar to using ICE table.

And don't forget C=n/V.

--

4. Dec 20, 2009 #3
    33.4% of the reactants have not reacted. So if we assume V=100ml that means 33.4ml have not reacted and 66.6 ml is V for the product. Is this correct?
    Incase it is, how do i get n? I only need n for one species cuz its equimolar & stoich is 1:1.

5. Dec 20, 2009 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Start assuming initially n=1. Write expression for K. Check if volume doesn't cancel out.

--

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook