Preparing for College: Maths and Physics Guides for Beginners

In summary: For example, I'm studying to be a vet technician and I have to say that I'm having a lot of trouble with Science. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or what, but I really need some advices about it.In summary, the high school student from Spain wants to study physics in college, but he is having trouble with mathematics. He is also working on physics and he is having no trouble organising the materials he finds. He would like to know more about how to become a physicist, what opportunities lead a career in physics, and what to do if he is having difficulty with science.
CanisMinor
(First I would like to point out that English is not my mother tongue and I'm working on the language. Apologizes if I commit any mistake throughout this post)
Hello everybody:
Recently I discovered this forum and after some hours browsing the website I have to say it has impressed me because I had been looking for such a complete and interesting forum during this year and all my efforts had been in vain so far. Regarding to this post, there are a few personal questions that I think you could help me to think over them.
I'm a sixteen years old high school student from Spain and I would like to study Physics in college. I love Sciences and I have no trouble studying Physics (well, it is not a piece of cake for me but I'm stubborn enough to spend as much time as I need to solve a problem or doing research; also I'm a little bit dreamer and I like to spend time observing and thinking about what happens in my surroundings). Before beginning the baccalaureate I was not sure about what career should I choose, but then I started to feel atracted for physics. This passion has not vanished and I'm decided on continuing this path (this crazy but amazing path).
There are a few questions that concern me. Recenty I realized that even though in my current course I have no problems with Mathematics, I have realized that my Math-base is not well constructed. I need to fix it, so I decided to start studying by my own. Nevertheless, I found a incredible extensive amount of information and books but it has been very difficult for me to choose and programme a selflearning course. I do not want to ask you for a planning because I know that os something that I have to prepare by my own working hard, but I would thank you if you could recommend me some Maths books of high school level and college level (for beginners and more advanced, to take a look).
As well as preparing Maths I'm working on Physics, of course. In this case I have no problem organising the materials that I have found. However I would like to know more about how is the daily worklife of a researcher or which opportunities leds a career of Physics. I'm conscious that this is a theme which is treated in other posts, but I'm new in the website and I need the guide from an expert. Also I would thank any advice of how could I prepare my level of Physics for college.
I know that the career is hard and it needs a lot of work. I know it and I want to be prepared for this.
This is all for now. I sincerely appreciate all your advices and attention.
Thank you ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
You're doing all the right things by studying ahead of time. There's really not much more advice to be given except don't burn yourself out before you even start. Allow yourself to enjoy high school.

Thank you for answering :) Perhaps you are right. I can't relax for college but I can't forget that I'm doing this because I like it. If this becomes a constant pressure...Anyway I'll try to create a self-studying programme which fits with my scholar life
Now I have realized I was in the wrong forum (sighs) I've browsed this one and I have found a lot of interesting and useful things and advices.

1. What is the best way to prepare for college level math and physics courses?

The best way to prepare for college level math and physics courses is to start by building a strong foundation in basic mathematical concepts such as algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. It is also important to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills through practice and exposure to challenging problems. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with the key concepts and principles in physics will be helpful in understanding more complex topics in college level courses.

2. Is it necessary to take advanced math and physics courses in high school to be successful in college?

While taking advanced math and physics courses in high school can certainly be beneficial, it is not a requirement for success in college. It is more important to have a strong understanding of fundamental concepts and the ability to think critically and solve problems. If you have not taken advanced courses in high school, it is recommended to do some self-study and seek out resources such as online tutorials or textbooks to supplement your knowledge.

3. How can I improve my math and physics skills if I struggle with these subjects?

If you struggle with math and physics, the best way to improve your skills is through practice and seeking help from a tutor or teacher. It can also be helpful to break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts and to relate them to real-world examples. Additionally, utilizing online resources such as practice problems and interactive simulations can be beneficial in understanding difficult concepts.

4. What resources are available to help me prepare for college level math and physics courses?

There are many resources available to help you prepare for college level math and physics courses, such as textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. Your high school or college may also offer tutoring services or study sessions. Additionally, there are many websites and apps that provide interactive and engaging ways to practice and improve your skills in math and physics.

5. How much time should I spend studying for math and physics courses in college?

The amount of time you should spend studying for math and physics courses in college will vary depending on your individual learning style and the difficulty of the course. Generally, it is recommended to spend at least 2-3 hours studying outside of class for every hour spent in class. It is also important to stay consistent with your studying and to review material regularly to ensure a strong understanding of the concepts.