Preparing for Physics

It's finally time for me to start the physics track next semester. I sent the professor an email asking about the book, syllabus, and such. She replied by simply stating that the syllabus will be available at a later date, and the book we will be using is University Physics with Modern Physics by Young and Freedman, 13th edition.

Then I read, that there the homework will be online! Am I the only person that absolutely hates online homework? I rather enjoy doing my work with pencil and paper, I thought I finished all the courses with this lazy garbage!

Anyway, I was curious how I can better prepare myself for this series of courses. What is a good strategy, should I work ahead? I usually work a few weeks ahead of the class schedule so I am not surprised when I hit a roadblock. What particular topics should I study in the weeks before the course starts?

Thanks,
QC

Answers and Replies

The thing that got me in mechanics was the rotational inertia, rolling, etc. That kind of stuff, and I don't think I'm the only one. I would suggest looking at that stuff! E&M, IMO, was pretty easy compared to classical mechanics.

Good luck!

It is always good to read ahead prior to starting the semester. I would suggest go over the beginning and work your way up in the time between now and when your school starts. Try doing the practice problems yourself.

Ugh, I just read that the MasteringPhysics online homework component is by Pearon. I really hate those people, that makes me so angry!

mege
I'm sorry to hear that you dislike the online homework, personally I love it because of the instant feedback it's able to give. For Calc III and Econ II I've had online homework via Pearson's site (MyMathLab, etc). I would do the online homework first, iron out any kinks in my method then do the paper/book homework. I found that I had a harder time when I would do the paper-homework first because (at least once) I would make a mistake and not realize it throughout the section.