1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Preparing for the F=MA (USAPHO) exam

Tags:
  1. Aug 24, 2015 #1
    I realize that different variations of this question have been asked countless times on this forum, but my inquiries are bit more specific than the general "how do I prepare for it", so please bear with me.

Some background: I am a rising high school junior, about to take AP Physics C. At the school I attend, both Mechanics and the E/M courses are taken in the same year, with Mechanics covering the first semester and E/M the second. I have been self-studying physics these last two months in preparation, and I have recently decided to try taking the F=MA exam next year. I have self-studied everything in the AP Physics Mechanics course (I've only kind of looked at electricity), and I am fairly confident that by the time F=MA rolls around, I will be able to get the majority of the questions because I will have formally learned the topics in class.

My questions are as follows:
    • What are the topics that are covered on the F=MA exam, and about what percentage of the test is each topic?
    I have looked at previous exams and besides testing most of mechanics, it seems that they sometimes throw in a fluids question, but I haven't seen any "extra" other topics.
    • Supposing that I pass F=MA, what topics do I need to know for semi-finals? Which ones tend to show up the most?
    I've also looked at some semifinals tests and they seem to test almost every topic - from Mechanics to E/M to waves to thermodynamics. Honestly, I really don't know where to start preparing for this. Any pointers would be appreciated.
    • Finally, what are the best books for me to use when studying?
    I currently own An Introduction to Mechanics, 2nd Edition by Kleppner and Kolenkow, University Physics with Modern Physics, 13th Edition by Sears and Zemansky, and Physics for Scientists and Engineers 4th and 6th Edition by Serway.

I would appreciate any detailed responses, thanks in advance for answering.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook