1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Preparing Solutions and Molarity

1. Sep 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate how many grams of solute are necessary to prepare:
    1) 100 mL of 0.1 N (Normal Solution) Ca(OH)2 (molecular weight = 74)

2) 100 mL 5% NaCl (molecular weight = 40)

2. Relevant equations
    Molarity = # of moles / # of liters

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. I set up dimensional analysis.

74g Ca(OH)2 divided by 2 since there are 2 Hydrogens = 37g Ca(OH)2 for Molecular Weight

100ml * (1 L / 1,000 mL) * (.05 mol / 1 L) * (37g / 1 mol) = 0.185g

I'm not sure if it's really .05 mol/L for Ca(OH)2. I just figured since the molarity was 0.1 N that I could divide 0.1 by 2 hydrogens to give me .05 mol/L

2. I honestly do not know how to even start this..

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2012 #2

AGNuke

Gold Member

1.) Prepare 0.2 M solution of Calcium Hydroxide.

2.) Just take 5 gms of NaCl, if we are talking about % w/v, which generally is the case.

4. Sep 8, 2012 #3
    Why is it 0.2M for #1? And can you show me how to set up for #2 please? Thank you once again!

5. Sep 9, 2012 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Not 0.2, but 0.05 M Ca(OH)2. 0.05M solution will be 0.05M in Ca2+ and 0.1M in OH- - compare with the definition of normality.

It is not clear if you are to prepare 5% w/w or w/v solution (not that the difference will be large). If w/v - by definition of the w/v it means 5 g in 100 mL of the solution. If w/w - approach depends on how accurate you want to be.

Simple and less accurate approach - dilute solutions have density of 1 g/mL. That means you will need 100 g of solution. Of this 5% is NaCl and 95% is solvent (w/w). Use this information to calculate mass of NaCl.

Exact approach (but most likely overkill) is to check the density of the solution in the density tables (for 5% NaCl it is 1.034 g/mL), calculate mass of the 100 mL - and do exactly the same thing you did in the above case.

6. Sep 9, 2012 #5
    So for #1 would I set it up like this:

# moles of Ca(OH)2 = 0.100 ml * {0.100 moles of OH(!)/l} * (1 mole of Ca(OH)2 / 2moles of OH)

7. Sep 9, 2012 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

0.100 L, not 0.100 mL. Other than that, looks OK to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook