Preparing to apply for undergrad. research position

In summary, the speaker is preparing to apply for an undergrad research position at the University at Buffalo. The research topic is about nano-scale magnetism, which is one of the speaker's strong interests in physics. They have spoken to the lead researcher, who is also their physics professor, and now need to create a resume for the application. The speaker is seeking tips on how to make their resume stand out, including whether to include the classes they have taken and any relevant research or lab experience.
kaos86
Hey, everyone. I'm preparing to apply for a undergrad. research position. I have the link about the research topic: http://electron.physics.buffalo.edu/hzeng/

For those who did not goto the link, its about nano-scale magnetism. I want to be part of the research project because magnetism is one of my strong interests in physics. I need some tips to help me be apart of this research. If it matters, my major is physics and I'm a junior attending University at Buffalo full time.

Just need to take 14 more classes and I will be able to earn my B.S. in physics. I have the lead researcher as one of my professors for physics with calc. I. I spoke with him and now I need to make a resume to apply for a undergrad research.

Anyone have any experience with undergrad. research? How was it and what do I put in my resume? Do I include the classes I've taken? Tips, please.

-kaos96-

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you should definitely include the classes you've taken in your resume for the undergrad research position. Make sure to highlight any relevant classes or topics that are related to the research project. You can also include any research or lab experience you have. It's also a good idea to talk about why you're interested in this particular research project and what skills you can bring to the table. Finally, make sure to outline any achievements or awards you've received in your academic career. Good luck with your application!

1. What qualifications do I need to have to apply for an undergraduate research position?

In most cases, you will need to have completed at least one year of undergraduate coursework and have a strong academic record. Some research positions may also require specific skills or experience relevant to the project. It's important to carefully read the requirements and qualifications listed in the job posting before applying.

2. How do I find undergraduate research positions to apply for?

There are a few ways to find research positions. You can check with your university's career center or research office, as they may have listings or connections with faculty who are looking for undergraduate researchers. You can also reach out directly to professors or researchers whose work interests you, or search online for research opportunities in your field of study.

3. What should I include in my application for an undergraduate research position?

Your application should include a cover letter, resume, and any other materials requested by the job posting. Your cover letter should highlight your relevant qualifications and why you are interested in the research project. Your resume should include your academic record, any relevant coursework or skills, and any previous research experience or publications.

4. How can I stand out in my application for an undergraduate research position?

In addition to having a strong academic record and relevant skills, you can stand out by showing genuine interest in the research project and demonstrating your enthusiasm and motivation to learn. You can also highlight any relevant experience or coursework, and explain how it relates to the research project. Personalizing your application and making a strong case for why you are a good fit for the position can also help you stand out.

5. What are some tips for preparing for an undergraduate research position interview?

Before the interview, make sure you have a good understanding of the research project and the professor or researcher you will be working with. Prepare by reviewing your application materials and thinking of potential questions that may be asked. During the interview, be sure to ask thoughtful questions, showcase your enthusiasm and passion for the project, and highlight your relevant skills and experience. Don't be afraid to talk about your academic goals and how the research position will help you achieve them.