What are the best resources for preparing to enter university?

• Schools
  • Thread starter Bibliocanibal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using Khan Academy to study math and the next steps after completing it. The suggestion is to obtain a university prospectus and look through course offerings and recommended textbooks to determine the best path forward. The conversation also mentions the encouragement from others that it is never too late to pursue education.
Bibliocanibal
Hi everybody. Congratulations for such a great forum.
I've been reading some posts related to my question and I've found really good stuff. The point is: I'm studying with Khan Academy with the idea of trying to go to University to graduate in Math. After Khan Academy, how should I continue? I guess textbooks are the better options, but there are quite a few.

By the way, I'm 31. Many of you say it is never too late, which is quite encouraging.

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should start out by getting the prospectus for the kind of UNiversity you want to enroll at, and look through their courses and the individual papers. Figure out what attracts you. The papers will have recommended textbooks - these will provide a target to aim at.

1. What subjects should I take in high school to prepare for university?

While it ultimately depends on the specific university and program you plan to attend, there are some general subjects that are recommended for preparation. These include English, math, science, social studies, and foreign language courses. It's also a good idea to take challenging courses and electives that align with your interests and potential major.

2. How can I improve my study habits before entering university?

Effective study habits are crucial for success in university. Some tips for improving your study habits include creating a study schedule, breaking up studying into manageable chunks, finding a quiet and comfortable study space, and utilizing active learning techniques such as summarizing and creating flashcards.

3. Is it important to participate in extracurricular activities before entering university?

Participating in extracurricular activities can be beneficial in many ways, including developing leadership skills, exploring interests, and building a strong college application. However, it's important to balance your extracurricular activities with your academics and not overcommit yourself.

4. How can I prepare for the transition to university life?

The transition to university can be overwhelming, but there are some steps you can take to prepare. One way is to talk to current university students or alumni to get a better understanding of what to expect. You can also attend orientation programs or visit the campus beforehand to get familiar with the layout and resources available.

5. Are there any resources available to help me prepare for university?

There are many resources available to help you prepare for university. Your high school guidance counselor can provide guidance and resources, and most universities have resources such as workshops, online tutorials, and academic advising services. Additionally, there are many online resources and books available that provide tips and advice for preparing for university.