What Should I Do to Prepare for Studying Physics in College?

In summary: Well, if you're interested in how things work and the laws which govern our universe, then you would be a good fit for physics. If you're more interested in actually tinkering with things and figuring out how they work, then engineering might be a better fit.
cjwalle
Hey all,

I'm currently attending the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme, and I'm probably going to study Physics when I start College (a little less than two years from now). I'm just wondering whether there is something I should/could start doing now. Any good books? Any suggestions as to which topics I should work extra hard on in High School?

Physics Higher Level is built up of a Core curriculum, and several options from which I can choose. I think I need to choose 2 or 3 options, so knowing which topics will be most useful for further physics studies will help me with that choice as well. Thanks.

Edit: Right, two options it is. I need to choose two of the following topics:
Astrophysics
Communications
Electromagnetic Waves
Relativity
Medical Physics
Particle Physics

Any tips?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the edit button is gone. Anyways, I was just going to add an additional question.

A friend of mine (a Math major in the UK) said that if I enjoyed Particle/Quantum Physics, I would enjoy studying Physics, and if I preferred more concrete stuff like mechanics, I'd be happier in Engineering.

What do y'all think about that?

Your Bacc. should prepare you for College. Read what you find interesting, and as widely as possible! You'll have liitle time to read widely when you take up the grind of professional studies. I'd recommend Kafka's short stories.

Engineers often do some quantum mechanics, I can't see how they could call themselves well rounded engineers if they did not. I did mechanics and QM in my University physics course and found them equally enjoyable. I hated astrophysics -- but that was mainly the lecturer's fault (I now realize). I was forced to do medical physics, but it actually turned out interesting.

I would take whatever sparks your interest most. Do you want to know how TV works? Do electromagnetic waves & communications. Interested in the LHC? Do particle physics. Wanna cure cancer? Do medical physics.

Thanks for the reply :) Think I'll do Medical Physics and Particle Physics for options, then.

Another, slightly related question.. How does one know if one is best suited for engineering or physics? I feel I'm probably a better fit for physics because I'm interested in how things work, and the laws which govern our universe and so on, but I've never really had the urge to pull something apart to see how it works.

1. What is the best way to prepare for studying Physics?

The best way to prepare for studying Physics is to start by developing a strong foundation in mathematics. Physics involves a lot of mathematical concepts and equations, so having a good understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus will make it easier to grasp the concepts in Physics. Additionally, practicing problem-solving skills and critical thinking will also help prepare you for studying Physics.

2. Do I need any prior knowledge before starting to study Physics?

No, you do not need any prior knowledge before starting to study Physics. However, having a basic understanding of algebra and trigonometry will make it easier to understand the concepts and equations in Physics. It is also helpful to have a strong curiosity and willingness to learn about the laws and theories that govern the physical world.

3. How can I improve my understanding of complex Physics concepts?

One way to improve your understanding of complex Physics concepts is to practice solving problems. The more you practice, the more familiar you will become with the equations and concepts. It is also helpful to seek clarification from your teacher or peers if you are struggling to understand a concept. Additionally, using visual aids and real-world examples can also make complex concepts easier to understand.

4. Are there any specific resources that can help me prepare for studying Physics?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you prepare for studying Physics. You can use textbooks, online videos and tutorials, practice problems, and study guides. Your school or local library may also have additional resources such as study books or reference materials. Additionally, joining a study group or working with a tutor can also be beneficial.

5. How can I stay motivated while studying Physics?

Staying motivated while studying Physics can be challenging at times, but it is important to remember why you chose to study this subject. Remind yourself of the fascinating laws and theories that you will learn about and how they explain the world around us. Set achievable goals for yourself and reward yourself when you reach them. Also, try to find study methods that work best for you and take breaks when needed to avoid burnout.