1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Preperation of bromine gas

1. May 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ok hi. I have this reaction for a lab due in about 2 weeks. It is on the preperation of bromine gas. The exact reaction was assigned (which is why i didn't choose a less-complex method, such as 2KBr + Cl2 --> 2KCl + Br2). My problem is that i need information (ie. internet websites, textbooks) becasue i need to have information such as:

- nature of reaction (atomic/molecular)
    - bonding (intermolecular/intramolecular)
    - energy (endo/exothermic)
    - entropy (chaos)
    - number of particles before and after, state of particle, complexity of part
    - rate of reaction (actually, thats what my lab will be about)
    - acidic/basic/redox

2. Relevant equations
    2KBr + MnO2 + 2H2SO4 --> K2SO4 + MnSO4 + 2H2O + Br2 (gas)

3. The attempt at a solution

I have looked through numerous textbooks at the public library and websites and havent found any information on this reaction. If anyone has informaiton on this reaction, that would be very helpful.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2007 #2
    oh yeah, and since this is my first time ever participating in this forum, please tell me if i'm missing anything
  4. May 14, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have a good start already. In what oxidation state are bromide and manganese oxide. How about manganese sulfate and bromine gas? Is anything being oxidized or reduced? Can you calculate the enthalpy of the reaction? Will the pH change during the reaction?

You probably know these answers already from your coursework. How will you measure the rate of reaction in the lab?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?