Exploring the Benefits of Publishing Preprints on arXiv

• Thread starter ArmanCham
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of publishing articles in the scientific community, particularly the use of pre-print servers like arXiv and the importance of peer-review. It is noted that publishing on arXiv is not a requirement and some academics do not bother, but it is a way to get results out to the community before the lengthy peer-review process. Some exceptions to the general rule are mentioned, but it is ultimately stated that there is no absolute guarantee and one must be familiar with the scientific literature before attempting to contribute to it.
ArmanCham
I want to write an article in arXiv. Let's suppose I made I mistake.Is there a chance that somebody can fix that mistake and publish it in scientific journal. And why people write their articles in arXiv? Is it a short way to peer review stage?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ArmanCham said:
I want to write an article in arXiv. Let's suppose I made I mistake.Is there a chance that somebody can fix that mistake and publish it in scientific journal. And why people write their articles in arXiv? Is it a short way to peer review stage?
Publishing someone else's work as your own would be plagiarism and is the sort of misconduct that would cost any committing it their career. ArXiv is a pre-print server, so that you can get your results out to the community before it is published in a journal, as getting a paper through peer review can take months. Publishing on arXiv is not a requirement and many academics don't bother.

Papers on arXiv are generally understood to be preliminary versions that will probably change during the peer-review process. It's common for reviewers to suggest changes and clarifications. The definitive version of the paper is the one that actually gets published.

If a paper sits on the arXiv for a long time without ever being published in a journal, people probably tend to not take it seriously. They would suspect that something must be very wrong with it, if it didn't make it through the peer-review process.

Last edited:
"So, preprint process is not common and not necessery.The best way to publish an article is sending it to journal.If I send my paper to journal directly,that will be more rational.In Journal peer review process will start and then months later They will going to publih my paper."
Is this correct ?

Whether you need to publish in a peer-reviewed journal depends on your professional goals. Publishing on the arXiv is sufficient to establish priority. Of course, if you make a mistake and fail to establish the result you claim, someone else is allowed to publish the correct version and claim credit for the result. I think http://arxiv.org/abs/0907.2939 has not been published in a peer-reviewed journal, but it is taken seriously. Another famous exception to the general rule that publication on the arXiv should be followed by publication in a peer-reviewed journal is this set of papers which appeared only on the arXiv are http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0211159, http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0303109 and http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0307245.

Last edited:
atyy said:
Of course, if you make a mistake and fail to establish the result you claim, someone else is allowed to publish the correct version and claim credit for the result.
I can't take that risk.I need to guarantee my idea.
My theory about cosmology.What should I do ? Its not necesseery to be arXiv it can be any preprint site.What's the best way to publish cosmology theory ? But when you thinking this way please keep in mind that I need to guarantee my idea.
Thanks

ArmanCham said:
I can't take that risk.I need to guarantee my idea.
My theory about cosmology.What should I do ? Its not necesseery to be arXiv it can be any preprint site.What's the best way to publish cosmology theory ? But when you thinking this way please keep in mind that I need to guarantee my idea.
Thanks

Then you are in the wrong parallel universe, because in this one, there is no absolute guarantee.

This is getting to be rather silly. If you think you have such a wonderful idea that someone might steal it, then send it into a peer-review journal! Otherwise, this is going nowhere fast.

In my experience in this forum, whenever we see someone posting something similar to this (and yes, you are NOT the first person to do this), it always a delusional sense of discovering something that didn't go anywhere.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
and yes, you are NOT the first person to do this

Not even the first person to do this this week.

I am getting annoyed. The idea that one can contribute to the scientific literature without reading it themselves is a statement that the scientific community to listen to them, but that they don't have to listen to the scientific community in return. Not only is this misguided, it is insufferably rude and arrogant. Why does PF pander to them?

OP, you need to learn about cosmology. Then and only then you can think about teaching it to the experts.

Likes e.bar.goum
Thanks for your comments

1. What is arXiv and why is it important for publishing preprints?

arXiv is an online repository for scientific papers, primarily in the fields of physics, mathematics, computer science, and quantitative biology. It allows researchers to share their work before it is peer-reviewed and published in a traditional journal. arXiv is important for publishing preprints because it provides an open and accessible platform for disseminating research quickly and broadly.

2. Can anyone submit a preprint to arXiv?

Yes, anyone can submit a preprint to arXiv as long as the research falls within the scope of the repository. However, to submit a preprint, one must first create an account and follow the submission guidelines set by arXiv.

3. How does publishing a preprint on arXiv benefit researchers?

Publishing preprints on arXiv allows researchers to get feedback on their work from a wide audience before it is officially published in a journal. This can help improve the quality of the research and can also lead to collaborations and networking opportunities. Additionally, publishing preprints on arXiv can increase the visibility and impact of the research, as it is freely accessible to anyone.

4. Are there any downsides to publishing preprints on arXiv?

One potential downside is that publishing a preprint on arXiv means that the research has not yet undergone peer review, so the findings may not be as rigorously evaluated. Additionally, some traditional journals may not accept papers that have been previously published as preprints on arXiv. However, this is becoming less common as the use of preprints becomes more widespread.

5. How has the use of preprints on arXiv impacted the scientific community?

The use of preprints on arXiv has had a significant impact on the scientific community. It has enabled researchers to share their work more quickly and openly, leading to faster dissemination of knowledge and increased collaboration. It has also allowed for discussions and debates to take place around research findings before they are officially published, promoting a more transparent and inclusive scientific process.